New here and have a ton of questions!

cdb389

Hi everyone! My name is Dani, in Southwest Idaho. I am a hopeful future tortoise owner. I have had a Box when I was really little (my mom was the main care source for her) and 2 RES and Painted turtle about 5 years or so ago now and those were 100% under my care. I'd like to get a tortoise here in the future and am in the process of researching the different species and their requirements. However i can only learn so much , sometimes wrong, information online. I'm looking for more real life facts and experience and since joining here I think I found just the place to get all the right information.

First off I'm thinking of getting a Hermann ' s or a Russian tortoise. I havent been able to find any reputable breeders (if anyone knows of anywhere else I can look or know of any around here i would appreciate it!) in my area and have started looking at pretty much the only rescue I have found here. There is a Russian here in my area (Southwest Idaho) that is for rescue and before pursuing it I want to get everything ready. I plan on building a indoor tort table and in the summer when it's nice have him/her outside in a safe enclosure. I have drawn up plans for my enclosure and would love to see what you guys think and if it's practical for a Russian.. Or Any tort in that fact.

I tried writing any info needed on the drawing but I know I left some out so if there are any questions feel free to ask! (It's going on an awkward shape wall and will also be used like a table top to set our tv receiver and dvd player etc on.)
20140221_133229.jpg

This is the view if you are looking straight at it.
20140221_133010.jpg

Sorry this is so long... but I also want to make sure I'm looking into getting the right tortoise as well. According to my set ups etc. I would like a tort that won't get too massive and also won't dig to the point we won't see it at all for days. I got my daughter hermit crabs and they are never out (should of figured by the name HERMIT crab) so she thinks they are gone and is just a tank :(

Thanks for reading. Hope to see what you all think!

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). If I'm understanding your drawings correctly, the enclosure could be longer then the 70 inches, at least 6 feet would be better, although your close. The depth seems fine, but I'm not sure how wide? The 10" if that's wide, then too narrow. A nice size for at least one adult is 4x6. Of course bigger is always better.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The length is okay, but it needs to be much wider. I have found it difficult to hang lights and adjust their height properly in less than 24". You could always mount fixtures directly to the roof of the enclosure instead of trying to hang domed lamps as I have done. Then you will have to experiment to find the right wattage bulb to get the heat you need.

Click the first link in my signature.
Then read this one: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-80698.html

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
The 10" is the "doorway" to the hide.. at least that's what I'm reading on this EXCELLENT blueprint! And it is 25" deep/front to back.

The only thing that concerns me is the 45 degree 'corners' .. how well can your tortoise "back-up" once they are in there?

Not everyone can read blueprints.. which is O.K. - who of us were/are machinist/builders, etc.?

Hope this clears this up...

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Dani welcome to the TFO from AZ . So how long before the enclosure goes from blue print to home? Good luck ! And Dani don't forget torts are like Lays chips you cannt have just one :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Dani, and welcome to the Forum!

I think you're making a mistake incorporating the tort table into a TV stand. Don't forget you will be administering to the tortoise, cleaning, feeding, changing water, etc. at least once a day. You want that to be an easy experience so you don't tell yourself, "Oh that's too much trouble to do today. I'll do it tomorrow."

Tortoises need a lot of space, especially grown tortoises. And you want to be able to put 'things' in the habitat...items that help block the line of sight seem to make it a bigger space for the tortoise because he has to walk around objects in order to see what's on the other side. And the more you put into the habitat, the less room there is. So you need a big space.

cdb389

Hi everyone, thanks for your help!
Sorry should of labled the drawing better. The enclosure would be 25 in. from front to back at its smallest.. I'm looking into making it bigger now... but how much bigger? the room the tort would be going in its kind of odd shaped so I'd like to utilize the corners and make it like a main focus in the room

I was told the Russian in rescue is 5-6 inches right now. So I tried to use that info as measurements.

I decided to tweek the enclosure front to be better accessible (will post pic soon) and will include a drawing of how I plan to set it up with lights and furnishings. Right now I would put at least 5 or so inches of substrate and the one little window would be a little above that so it hopefully won't be an issue to the tort trying to get through. I will plant grass and plants in front to kind of camouflage it.

Redfoot NERD said:
The 10" is the "doorway" to the hide.. at least that's what I'm reading on this EXCELLENT blueprint! And it is 25" deep/front to back.

The only thing that concerns me is the 45 degree 'corners' .. how well can your tortoise "back-up" once they are in there?

Not everyone can read blueprints.. which is O.K. - who of us were/are machinist/builders, etc.?

Hope this clears this up...

Oh and yes the doorway measurement to the hide is the 10 in should it be bigger? How could I get a hide in that shape that would be easier for them to back out of? Ha I wish I could build it and have a tort come test it for me! !
I'm not and never been a machinist or builder, I wish I was it would make this alot easier.

Grandpa Turtle 144 said:
Hello Dani welcome to the TFO from AZ . So how long before the enclosure goes from blue print to home? Good luck ! And Dani don't forget torts are like Lays chips you cannt have just one :)

I'm still in the gathering supplies stage. Just have to figure out final measurements so I can get the wood. I imagine the build will take a like bit but as I buy supplies and start construction I will post pics and keep you all updated. I will probably check everything with you all before I actually DO anything. I don't want to do anything wrong.

Grandpa Turtle 144 said:

I'm still in the gathering supplies stage. Just have to figure out final measurements so I can get the wood. I imagine the build will take a like bit but as I buy supplies and start construction I will post pics and keep you all updated. I will probably check everything with you all before I actually DO anything. I don't want to do anything wrong.

Grandpa Turtle 144 said:

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Dani
Don't worry about doing something wrong that's how most of us started and that's how you learn ! It's more important to have fun , enjoy , and learn . Good luck and enjoy !

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Look all the support you get! ! ! !You are in a good hand.

This is a great place to explore and learn. Good to have you here.