New Hermann's Enclosure

HappyHermanns

Location (City and/or State)
Rochester, Michigan
My Hubby finally finished the enclosure that he has been busting his butt on for a couple of weeks now.

He converted a book shelf. Used the shelves as legs for the table and created a door that drops slowly so we won't accidentally startly our little guys.

We were concerned as to how the would react to the new surroundings..
Shouldn't have worried.. Last night was their first night in it and all 3 of them walked the tank for awhile before finding corners in the little house to sleep in (sorry, I forgot to get a pic of the house opening). SO thrilled that they are ok... I know sometimes changing their home can cause stress that comes out in them not eating and stuff.. Our little guys just keep on surprising us with taking so much in stride.. They warmed up to us very quickly as well. :<3::<3::<3::<3:

Put a Basil (bush?) in and thankfully all three of them sniffed it and walked away. Glad to know they wont eat too much of it, if they wont even take a nibble. lol
Also found that awesome succulent tree (?) I have never seen one before, I LOVE succulets. So we decided to put one in there for interest.;)
Will be adding more plants that they can actually eat ASAP..
The farmers market last weekend was AWEsome.. So we'll be able to find some things there to add :D

TortHome.jpg TortHome3.jpg Tort Home2.jpg

Rue

Canada
Looks great! :)

I like succulents, but I don't know which species are toxic and which aren't. Did you check what species yours is?

HappyHermanns

Rochester, Michigan
Looks great! :)

I like succulents, but I don't know which species are toxic and which aren't. Did you check what species yours is?

Thanks!!
I have to do some research on it for sure.
The ones that I did find say safe but feed in moderation..
So we thought this was perfect, it sits up high and the only way they would have acess is if a petal fell :D:D

I needed to research it anyway so I just included it here from The Tortoise Table.org site.. Hope it helps you, too. ;);)
There are pictures to help identify, so that is great!!
There are not any of this tree in particular but it looks exactly like Hen and Chicks.. so I am going to go with that and just try not to let them have much.. :)
I added a better picture of it.. So neat that it has all sorts of "babies" growing under the main flower (it is maybe 1.5 feet tall too)!!
Succulent tree.jpg

Echeveria-
Common name : Echeveria (Hens and Chicks)
Latin name : Echeveria spp.
Family name : Crassulaceae

Echeveria leaves and flowers are fine for tortoises to eat, but as with all succulents it should be fed in moderation, as over indulging can result in diarrhoea. Also, if you have recently bought the plant it is wise to re-pot it and only feed new leaf growth in case the plant has been treated with insecticides and fertilisers. Do not confuse with Sempervivum, which is also called Hens and Chicks, and which is also safe to feed to your tortoise or turtle.

Sempervivums are fine for tortoises to eat, but as with all succulents feed in moderation as too much can cause loose stools. Also, if you have recently bought the plant it is wise to re-pot it and only feed new leaf growth in case the plant has been treated with insecticides and fertilisers. Do not confuse with *Echeveria*, which is also called Hens and Chicks and can safely be to feed to your tortoise or turtle

Euphorbias contain a toxin that is known to be carcinogenic. The milky sap can cause inflammation of the skin and mucous membranes of the eyes, nose and mouth. The chemical resinferatoxin has an irritating effect which is stronger than capsaicin, the substance that makes chillies hot. So never feed to tortoises and wear protective clothing when handling this plant.

Common name
: Mother of Pearl Plant (Ghost Plant, Dream Plant, Leatherpetal, Mother-of-Pearl Plant)
Latin name : Graptopetalum paraguayense; syn. Sedum weinbergii; Echeveria weinbergii
Family name : Crassulaceae

Graptopetalum is a fairly hardy succulent which closely resembles Echeveria (and in fact can sometimes hybridise with it), and the leaves and flowers are fine for tortoises to eat.

Haworthia is found in many shapes and forms, and it is fine to feed to tortoises. As it is a succulent, however, do remember not to overfeed, as with all succulents too much can result in mild diarrhoea

Reactions: Rue

CathyNed

5 Year Member
Mayo, Ireland
If your hermans is anything like my russian.....nothing is out of reach....the general rule is trample.....if it too high for me to reach i will trample it until i can get to it!!

HappyHermanns

Rochester, Michigan
If your hermans is anything like my russian.....nothing is out of reach....the general rule is trample.....if it too high for me to reach i will trample it until i can get to it!!
lol.. in this one case, I doubt trampling it would work for them.. lol..
It has like a tree trunk base... Maybe they could if they were Galapagos tortoises..hahaTrunk.jpg

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
My Hubby finally finished the enclosure that he has been busting his butt on for a couple of weeks now.

He converted a book shelf. Used the shelves as legs for the table and created a door that drops slowly so we won't accidentally startly our little guys.

We were concerned as to how the would react to the new surroundings..
Shouldn't have worried.. Last night was their first night in it and all 3 of them walked the tank for awhile before finding corners in the little house to sleep in (sorry, I forgot to get a pic of the house opening). SO thrilled that they are ok... I know sometimes changing their home can cause stress that comes out in them not eating and stuff.. Our little guys just keep on surprising us with taking so much in stride.. They warmed up to us very quickly as well. :<3::<3::<3::<3:

Put a Basil (bush?) in and thankfully all three of them sniffed it and walked away. Glad to know they wont eat too much of it, if they wont even take a nibble. lol
Also found that awesome succulent tree (?) I have never seen one before, I LOVE succulets. So we decided to put one in there for interest.;)
Will be adding more plants that they can actually eat ASAP..
The farmers market last weekend was AWEsome.. So we'll be able to find some things there to add :D

View attachment 180698 View attachment 180699 View attachment 180700
A lovely enclosure. Your cute tort is lucky.