New hermanns owner from England kent

Eadie

Location (City and/or State)
Kent England
Hi all
I am so excited to announce that I will be receiving my 1st ever hermanns tortoise this week.
I have researched and researched on what this little one will need so as to give him /Her the best lifestyle he/she can have
I just wanted to say how fantastic it is to have you all on here for help and support if needed. I'm sure I'll be asking a fair few questions so thanks in advance 😂

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hello Eadie, and welcome from another hermanns tortoise parent from Devon. Our little chap is nearly 22years old, and we have had him since he was a baby. We think he is wonderful - exasperating sometimes - but the most important member of the family. You will get lots of help here, and people who really know from experience what they are talking about.
Angie

Eadie

Kent England
Hello Eadie, and welcome from another hermanns tortoise parent from Devon. Our little chap is nearly 22years old, and we have had him since he was a baby. We think he is wonderful - exasperating sometimes - but the most important member of the family. You will get lots of help here, and people who really know from experience what they are talking about.
Angie
Thanks Angie it's great to be able to get on here and ask just to make sure I'm doing all the right things
I'm just so excited I'm 52 and have wanted a tortoise for as long as I can remember 😂
My husband has bought our little one as a surprise for me so I haven't got too much info as yet and so not sure whether we have a boy or girl I think he/she is around 4 years old
I have ordered quite a bit from Amazon just hope I've got all the right things 😬

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Thanks Angie it's great to be able to get on here and ask just to make sure I'm doing all the right things
I'm just so excited I'm 52 and have wanted a tortoise for as long as I can remember 😂
My husband has bought our little one as a surprise for me so I haven't got too much info as yet and so not sure whether we have a boy or girl I think he/she is around 4 years old
I have ordered quite a bit from Amazon just hope I've got all the right things 😬
I am not the right person to advise you on the various things he/she might need, as we have had Zola for so long, and there have been lots of changes. I can say, though, that he/she is at about the age when , if they are males, they tend to prove it by attempting to mate with just about anything around, and displaying their...er...bits. So don't be worried if he does some odd things !
We feed Zola mainly on dandelion leaves, watercress, pea shoots, rocket ,radicchio and other salad or weed stuff -he really doesn't much like pellet food.
I look forward to hearing about your new friend soon, and seeing some photos - please !
Angie

Eadie

Kent England
I am not the right person to advise you on the various things he/she might need, as we have had Zola for so long, and there have been lots of changes. I can say, though, that he/she is at about the age when , if they are males, they tend to prove it by attempting to mate with just about anything around, and displaying their...er...bits. So don't be worried if he does some odd things !
We feed Zola mainly on dandelion leaves, watercress, pea shoots, rocket ,radicchio and other salad or weed stuff -he really doesn't much like pellet food.
I look forward to hearing about your new friend soon, and seeing some photos - please !
Angie
Well at least I'll know he's a male then🤣
I have read so many things on feeding I know where I am with the fresh food but was unsure about the pellets but thought I might as well give them a go too 🤣
Same with the bedding I ordered it's also edible 🙄
Mind you my kids often say I'm a feeder 😂😂😂
As soon as my little one arrives I'll post a pic and a name
I'm thinking if it's a boy I wanna call him Herbie
Thanks for all the advice Angie much appreciated 🤗

Eadie

Kent England
Well at least I'll know he's a male then🤣
I have read so many things on feeding I know where I am with the fresh food but was unsure about the pellets but thought I might as well give them a go too 🤣
Same with the bedding I ordered it's also edible 🙄
Mind you my kids often say I'm a feeder 😂😂😂
As soon as my little one arrives I'll post a pic and a name
I'm thinking if it's a boy I wanna call him Herbie
Thanks for all the advice Angie much appreciated 🤗
Btw was that Zola after Zola bud 😂

Avuwyy

Liverpool, Merseyside
Hello and welcome to the forum!! We’d love to see your tortoise once you’ve received it, Hermanns are a dazzling species of tortoise, and fantastic in the climate of the UK, a good choice!!

My tortoise is called Herbie!! Would they be named after the car then, or another Herbie? (I was particularly fond of that little Beetle as a child hence my choice lol)

Please feel free to ask as many questions as you need!!

Eadie

Kent England
Hello and welcome to the forum!! We’d love to see your tortoise once you’ve received it, Hermanns are a dazzling species of tortoise, and fantastic in the climate of the UK, a good choice!!

My tortoise is called Herbie!! Would they be named after the car then, or another Herbie? (I was particularly fond of that little Beetle as a child hence my choice lol)

Hi and thankyou
I've seen so many different names and decided I love the name Herbie and yes I think it was probably after the car 😂
I've decided to keep my one indoors and have bought a set up for him/her but obviously I would also like for it to spend time in the garden but I'm not sure when I can do this (temperature wise) as our weather in England at the moment is still rather cold any suggestions please

Eadie

Kent England
Hi and thankyou
I've seen so many different names and decided I love the name Herbie and yes I think it was probably after the car 😂
I've decided to keep my one indoors and have bought a set up for him/her but obviously I would also like for it to spend time in the garden but I'm not sure when I can do this (temperature wise) as our weather in England at the moment is still rather cold any suggestions please
Btw how old is your Herbie

Avuwyy

Liverpool, Merseyside
Hi and thankyou
It is a pretty adorable name haha. Can pull up a bunch of nicknames to go with it!!

Storm after storm here right now, with the promise of snow soon, I get you. I’m not as knowledgeable with species such as Hermanns, as my own tortoise is one requiring higher temperatures to thrive. If you go to the homepage, and then scroll down to species specific forums, click on Mediterranean species, and then onto the forum for Hermanns tortoises, there should be a few threads there regarding when you can put them outside and such. Or if there isn’t, you can ask a question there and someone with better species knowledge than myself can help out! :)

Also, my tortoise recently turned 3 (Though he’s still absolutely tiny). I received him on the 26th January 2019, so he’s still pretty young :)

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Btw was that Zola after Zola bud 😂
The name came to me unexpectedly - I think it was directly from Zola's own mind !
It is very appropriate, we think - Zola the writer (our Zola likes me reading to him ) -Gianfranco Zola the footballer, who was a great player, but also a very charming person -Zola in italian means little clump of earth - Zola in Swahili
means quietness - and then there was Zola Budd,the girl runner, if he was a female.

Eadie

Kent England
It is a pretty adorable name haha. Can pull up a bunch of nicknames to go with it!!

Storm after storm here right now, with the promise of snow soon, I get you. I’m not as knowledgeable with species such as Hermanns, as my own tortoise is one requiring higher temperatures to thrive. If you go to the homepage, and then scroll down to species specific forums, click on Mediterranean species, and then onto the forum for Hermanns tortoises, there should be a few threads there regarding when you can put them outside and such. Or if there isn’t, you can ask a question there and someone with better species knowledge than myself can help out! :)

Also, my tortoise recently turned 3 (Though he’s still absolutely tiny). I received him on the 26th January 2019, so he’s still pretty young :)
Thanks I'll take a look at the threads 👍🏻

Eadie

Kent England
The name came to me unexpectedly - I think it was directly from Zola's own mind !
It is very appropriate, we think - Zola the writer (our Zola likes me reading to him ) -Gianfranco Zola the footballer, who was a great player, but also a very charming person -Zola in italian means little clump of earth - Zola in Swahili
means quietness - and then there was Zola Budd,the girl runner, if he was a female.
It's a great name 😁

Karen(pebbles)

Platinum Tortoise Club
Bristol Uk
Hi and welcome to the forum, i also have a hermanns, my pebbles is just 2 yrs old so not sure yet what sex s/he is, you're gonna love this forum, so many experts sharing their knowledge