New little gal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

motero

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I am just going to list previous care, and currant condition. You can draw your own conclusions.

Incubated in the ground, 5 months old, only fed grass and hay, only a heat lamp on during the day, no uva/uvb or sunlight ever, no calcium supplements of any kind, hour long daily soaks, dry coconut coir substrate, ambient humidity (17%-30%).

Slightly larger than a hatchling, New growth is raised above original scutes (zero pyramiding), soft shell all around, active, no other apparent health concerns.

We have spruced up her care are going to call her Uniquewa. Bet you can't guess why?

pictortscutssize_zpsd91b4485.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Pics a little dark, but love the shell pattern. Not sure she should still have a soft shell. Got my leopard at two months and he had a hard shell, not soft. Hopefully that kind of start in life won't be a problem. Did you hatch it out or someone else? Anyway, Toms threads are at the bottom of my post and I would start housing her accordingly.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
She is UNIQUE!! :) Is that why? Her shell is gorgeous. The pattern is so pretty and different!! I would love to see more pics of her! :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Interesting. Love to see how she turns out. Love the name too!

Interesting mix of care decisions by the previous owner. What's that all about?

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Tom said:
Interesting. Love to see how she turns out. Love the name too!

Interesting mix of care decisions by the previous owner. What's that all about?

She said she read Sulcata Station. And she had lots of funny ideas about babies in general, like they can't go out side till they were big or they would sunburn. And they can only have grass nothing else ever. She did just enough research to think he had all the information. At least she tried.
I found it interesting that you could have guessed the little ones care just by its condition. Uniquewa has taken to all kinds of food and already samples the cuttle bone.
I have found in most of my Sulcatas that hydration alone is the largest factor in preventing pyramiding. Not the only one just the most important one. Most of my torts are second hand and were not in good shape when I got them they live outside exclusively so humidity is not possible. But with diet and hydration taken care of they straighten out nicely. Soak, Soak, and Soak some more.

Status
Not open for further replies.