New Member <3

Barajassslara3

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hello i’m a Sulcata Tortoise owner. His name is Dos(2) Gustavo. I have had him for 3 weeks now, he is about 2-3 months old. He currently is 2 and a half inches long and i have not yet weighed him. I have yet to learn everything that i need to know i’m hoping that me being a member here will help me learn very important things. I am still trying to put together a proper enclosure. If you guys have any basic health tips, or any tips in general would be appreciated. I feed him 3 times a day. I keep the heat lamp on from 7am to 9-10 pm. I received my tortoise from one of my moms friends and she said a 60w light was good... i’m wondering if that is to low ? ( i did make a previous account but it kept glitching and not letting me see things so excuse me for popping up again) IMG_6730.jpgIMG_6614.jpgIMG_6609.jpg

woodygawek

Preston UK
Hiya! I'm new too and new to owning a tortoise. There is so much to learn and s many things they need for their health but I love it so far

MrT for me

New Mexico
Welcome to the forum! I’m sure you will receive many ideas and pointers from the members here. I’m rather new to the “Sulcata world” and don’t know much about very young torts as we inherited ours at the age of 2 years old. I know with my tort I always use a non contact ir temp gun to check his temperature and the temperature around his habitat. Ambient temp. can be deceiving some times. Due to my trade I also have and use a FLIR gun. That really helps me get a big picture of what’s going on in his habitat. Man Sulcatas are an entirely different level of crazy cute when they’re little!!!☺️

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Welcome to the forum!
There is a lot that needs to be changed in your enclosure.

-you need a much larger, completely enclosed enclosure. Open tops let out all of the heat and humidity you need.

- that lamp should not be clamped. Clamps are a huge fire hazard, and make it near impossible to measure the correct temps. It needs to be coming straight down.

-what light is that? Heat? Uvb? Both? Do you have any night heat?

- Is that sand in the enclosure? Or something else?

Please give these a read, and come back with questions-
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...ealthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/

For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome !

Here are a few suggestions for you to think about:

Change out your light to a tube type fluorescent UVB light. I have come to realize the incandescent type or MVB type cause the tortoise's shell to start pyramiding.

Place a few potted plants around inside the enclosure. This gives a baby tortoise a more safe, covered feeling.

Use a moist substrate. We have found that moisture and humidity help baby tortoises grow smoothly. Also, don't use a substrate with limestone particles in it. Not a good idea to encourage the baby to eat the substrate (impaction).

Figure out a way to totally cover the enclosure. It's very difficult to maintain an overall temperature of 80-85F degrees in an open-top enclosure.

Give him a couple choices of hiding places.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome! I am also a sulcata owner (Opo). I have learned everything I need to know on this forum. Don't go surfing the net for info. It will just confuse you. Stay here the members here are committed to help you raise a healthy tort. I use cypress mulch and coco coir for the substrate. You can get cypress at home depot and coco coir online.
Oh yeah cute little tort