New member, and new owner. From Nor-Cal

Status
Not open for further replies.

PEEEETE

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Vacaville, CA
Hello everyone, My name is Pete, and I have a 4 week old Sulcata. This is my first time raising a tortoise from a hatchling, so My main goal here on the forum is to learn as much as possible about keeping my new Tortoise, Pépe healthy, happy, and getting him to grow up as strong and healthy as possible!

Here are a few pictures of him. Thanks for reading, and for having such a great community here.

2011-07-31_17-26-30_68.jpg

2011-08-04_17-51-14_488.jpg

284807_2188488038964_1449976737_2502251_7590894_n.jpg

285465_2188488758982_1449976737_2502254_4600916_n.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Welcome
he is adorable, I would recommend changing his substrate (rabbit pellets it looks like)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Welcome....absolutely adorable Pepe.....I would have to second the advice on changing the substrate....the pellets are not to good :D

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum Pete. I am on board with everyone else that you should change out those pellets for something like cypress mulch, or coco coir.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

PEEEETE

5 Year Member
Vacaville, CA
Thanks guys! Emysmys, I did see that post, and it was very informative. I've since changed his bedding to Coco coir, then was recommended to change from that by my Vet at UC Davis. I guess that tells where abouts I am as well. I live in Vacaville, CA halfway between San Francisco and Sacramento.

Here is my other thread, in case any of you have some input on my bedding conundrum http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Please-tell-me-if-this-enclosure-is-adequate#axzz1Us6Vaw15[hr]
Also, what is the code that many people have in their signatures with the 3 digit numbers and decimal points?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It tells you how many and what sex their tortoises are...

1.2.3 means one male, two females and three to young to sex.

PEEEETE

5 Year Member
Vacaville, CA
emysemys said:
It tells you how many and what sex their tortoises are...

1.2.3 means one male, two females and three to young to sex.

Thanks! Updating my sig now

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome PEEEETE. That's a cute little baby you've got there.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
like everyone else, I think he is adorable. So much so when they are young! They grow BIG tho..

welcome to the forum!

teri

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D Welcome! That is a cutie. Now you said it's the first tortoise you have raised from a hatchling, does that mean you have had other tortoises?

PEEEETE

5 Year Member
Vacaville, CA
Jacqui said:
:D Welcome! That is a cutie. Now you said it's the first tortoise you have raised from a hatchling, does that mean you have had other tortoises?

Yes, I had one tortoise that was a rescue, but I was about 10 at the time, and my parents weren't overly involved. I think it was the species that you have in your avatar, Jacqui. Could not fully identify it with the reference books that I had from the library, and the internet wasn't very prevalent then, so that was as good as I was gonna get. Kept him for about 2 years, and he burrowed in the backyard, when we let him back there once, and I never saw him again. I raised 3 water turtes after that (2 rescues, and one red eared slider from a young age from the pet store) and constructed a pond in the bakyard especially for them where they thrived and grew quickly. Had them for 3 years or so, until I was about 17, and in a bit of carelessness, my dad accidentally got lawn fertilizer in their pond while spreading, and they all died =( That was one of the saddest days for me up to that point in my life.

Since then, I've wanted to raise one myself with no one else to blame if something goes wrong. I think I will do well now since there is such a wealth of information about healthy habits and whatnot.

TheSimpsons

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
PEEEETE said:
Jacqui said:

Yes, I had one tortoise that was a rescue, but I was about 10 at the time, and my parents weren't overly involved. I think it was the species that you have in your avatar, Jacqui. Could not fully identify it with the reference books that I had from the library, and the internet wasn't very prevalent then, so that was as good as I was gonna get. Kept him for about 2 years, and he burrowed in the backyard, when we let him back there once, and I never saw him again. I raised 3 water turtes after that (2 rescues, and one red eared slider from a young age from the pet store) and constructed a pond in the bakyard especially for them where they thrived and grew quickly. Had them for 3 years or so, until I was about 17, and in a bit of carelessness, my dad accidentally got lawn fertilizer in their pond while spreading, and they all died =( That was one of the saddest days for me up to that point in my life.

Since then, I've wanted to raise one myself with no one else to blame if something goes wrong. I think I will do well now since there is such a wealth of information about healthy habits and whatnot.

Welcome, I hope you've still got some sort of yard, cause these little guys get big fast!

Status
Not open for further replies.