New Member and New Tortoise Owner with Many Questions

Albina

Location (City and/or State)
Dubai, UAE
Hello Everyone!

My name is Albina and I live in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. I am a new tortoise owner and I have a couple of questions about my tortoise, which I hope you can help me with.

So, please meet Torty ^^

IMG_6174.jpg

IMG_6177.jpg

IMG_6175.jpg

I always wanted a tortoise, when I was a kid we had several of them in our garden. So on this years birthday I got her as gift. She was bought from a sanctuary farm.

I don't know the history behind the shell damages, but I took her to the vet after I got her, because she had a runny nose. The vet concluded that she is quite healthy and estimated that she must be around 3 years old and of the Mediterranean type.

My first question would be to confirm exatly whats her type is. Is it a Mediterranean tortoise? Because after googling around, I have my doubts, hence please advise!

Does she require hibernation? At the moment she has a small semi-burrow between two built structures which is highly overgrown by grasses which creates a nice enclosure. But I often find her under the jasmine vines sleeping for days.

What temperatures can she tolerate? I keep her in the garden and since for the last two month the temperatures outside have very mild (34-23 degrees). But now it getting a little cold in the night, the temperature drops to 16-17 degrees.

Does she require soaking? I have been soaking her 2-3 times week for 15 minutes initially, but I don't see her drinking. Also, it seems that she doesn't enjoy the process at all and she often fall asleep during soaking!

Finally, my last questions would be about food. I have planted several plants and grasses which are generally edible by tortoises, which are: bermuda grass, hibiscus rosa-sinesis, agave and aloe vera. I see her eating the grass a lot and every morning I pluck a bunch of hibiscus leaves and leave it for her to munch on. Occasionally she gets a treat in form of a cucumber or tomato. Is that a sufficient diet variety or I need to add something else?

I apologise for the long post and I really hope that I can get answers to my questions in order to ensure that she dwells in most healthy environment that I can provide.

Thank you in advance!

Albina

Last edited:

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Looks like a Greek to me but I suck at the guessing game. Welcome

@AbdulaAli should be able to help you. He has a Greek and lives in the UAE as well.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Albina, and welcome to the Forum!

I also think it's a Greek (Testudo graeca), but I think your vet is wrong on the age. I'm pretty sure this is a pretty old tortoise. Let's give a shout out to @HermanniChris He's great at I.D. ing the Mediterranean species.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
...and I should ad that once we get an I.D. for sure, we have a couple of very good care sheets for you at the top of each species' section.

orv

5 Year Member
Aguanga, CA
Another big WELCOME to our tortoise family. Along with all the other sage advice that you're receiving here on the forums, spend time observing your new friend, he'll tell you much of what his needs and likes are. You'll enjoy the time as well. As always, Orvil

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Welcome. This one's tricky because of its age and also due to the fact that several Greek tortoises of mixed origin come through Dubai for the pet trade. Needless to say, you have a Greek tortoise and while it appears to be the ibera Greek tortoise (Testudo graeca ibera) I would need a clear plastron shot to know better. I'd also like to know it's size and weight which will also help me.

Albina

Dubai, UAE
Thank you All for the warm Welcome! :)

Hi Albina, and welcome to the Forum!

I also think it's a Greek (Testudo graeca), but I think your vet is wrong on the age. I'm pretty sure this is a pretty old tortoise. Let's give a shout out to @HermanniChris He's great at I.D. ing the Mediterranean species.

Yvonne, I am quite bad at identifying the age so I want to ask what features suggest that this is an old tortoise?

It don't look like my greeks

Color/pattern-wise, I think they are a little similar. But the one on the top right has very bumpy shell, I haven't seen anything like it. Or maybe it's just a photo?

Welcome. This one's tricky because of its age and also due to the fact that several Greek tortoises of mixed origin come through Dubai for the pet trade. Needless to say, you have a Greek tortoise and while it appears to be the ibera Greek tortoise (Testudo graeca ibera) I would need a clear plastron shot to know better. I'd also like to know it's size and weight which will also help me.

Hermanni, I googled the images of the Testudo Graeca Ibera species and it looks very similar. Anyhow, please see the plastron photo below. As for the measurements, she weighs 1 kg and 100 grams, which is 2.425 pounds. The length of the plastron is 15 cm which is 5.9 inches.

I hope this helps. If you need additional photos measurements, please let me know :)

IMG_0519.jpg

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Ok definitely not T. g. ibera. It can safely be grouped into T. g. terrestris. Locale is really impossible to know, but it's of that strain/subspecies.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Albina
If by bumpy shell you mean my greeks all my torts are raised outside in my AZ weather just as it is . AZ is known for its hot dry weather .

Albina

Dubai, UAE
Albina
If by bumpy shell you mean my greeks all my torts are raised outside in my AZ weather just as it is . AZ is known for its hot dry weather .

Granda Turtle, when I mentioned the bumpy shell in no way I meant that as a negative aspect or that you don't take a good care. I know there are species with protruded pyramidal shell shapes, but I haven't seen those with smooth protrusions. :)

Albina

Dubai, UAE
Really no way of knowing that but definitely over 20.

Wow! Over 20? So I guess she is not a baby but she is in her tortoise equivalent early adolescence period :)
Thanks a lot for the information, now I need to get all care guidlines for Testudo Graeca Terrestris