New Member Building an Enclosure

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
CITIES only deals with international movements of tortoise, and other animals, from country to country.
So CITIES Is only international and CBW is the state to state?
I forgot there was a CBW, I thought the CITIES was the only one.
So which one is no longer being given or is it both?

zovick

10 Year Member!
The CITES Permits are issued for INTERNATIONAL transactions such as IMPORTATION, EXPORTATION or LOANS of protected species between one country and another country.

CITES Permits are NOT needed for sales of CITES protected species within US. IE, any animal which is legally imported into the US with the proper CITES documentation can be bought and sold here with impunity.

The only exception to the above statement would be a species which is listed as CITES I, but that is really a moot point, because no CITES import/export documents will be issued for CITES I animals without an act of Congress and/or God (which is only a slight exaggeration to make that point).

CITES Permits are not readily obtained by private individuals, but it is possible. Most private people don't need them at all. Private buyers can buy the animals they want from the importers who have taken all the chances and obtained the CITES Permits to bring the animals into the country.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
CBW is no longer given to anyone except what the government decides is "a legitimate AZA facility". You know, the people who can't even keep some of these tortoises alive, much less breed them... The appointed official in charge of handing out the $200 dollar licenses has decided that all the actual people succeeding with breeding these animals cannot get the licenses anymore. Meaning, if you didn't already have them in your state, you can't get them, and trying to buy new genetic bloodlines to bring in and improve your own lines from out of state is no longer an option.

CITIES is divided into Appendix I, Appendix II and Appendix III animals. Explained here: