New member, learning how to post!!

Ohangus

Location (City and/or State)
Ormond Beach ,Florida
I deleted my original post because I posted in the wrong Department . Cannot figure out how to delete the entire thing !! so I am posting this to say see you again soon in the introductions...???

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There is a whole list of threads with people helping other tortoise people, and one contentious thread with a guy who is doing harm to his tortoise and for the second time ignoring all advice to change his ways.

We are all here to learn and share, but we are not here to condone practices that we know are bad for tortoises. He is not doing something in a new way. He is not trying a new idea. He is doing something in a way where the outcome is known because its been done many times over many years. Decades.

You will have to decide if you want to judge our entire community by that one thread, or by the thousands of others. If we see you doing something harmful to your tortoise we will point it out and try to help the situation. Sometimes we succeed and sometimes we don't, but we always try to help.

Cleveland Tennessee
Hi, and welcome! Tortoise people are my people too ❤️
I’ve been here for a few months now and that’s really the first post that I saw that seemed like the drama of Facebook. So, I wouldn’t say that’s the usual type of thing here at all!

The people here are super quick to offer advice because we all love torts in general, right? Some people are not receptive to constructive criticism, and some people aren’t great at sugar coating things and can come off as brash.. but I’ve yet to have a negative experience here yet and I came in knowing almost nothing!!

I believe most of the moderators here have been raising torts for decades. And from what I can tell, they threw away the old “rules” when better advice became available. I trust their information because they’re always looking for the best ways to give their torts the very best lives :)

Again, welcome! What kind of shelled friends do you have?

Ohangus

Ormond Beach ,Florida
There is a whole list of threads with people helping other tortoise people, and one contentious thread with a guy who is doing harm to his tortoise and for the second time ignoring all advice to change his ways.

We are all here to learn and share, but we are not here to condone practices that we know are bad for tortoises. He is not doing something in a new way. He is not trying a new idea. He is doing something in a way where the outcome is known because its been done many times over many years. Decades.

You will have to decide if you want to judge our entire community by that one thread, or by the thousands of others. If we see you doing something harmful to your tortoise we will point it out and try to help the situation. Sometimes we succeed and sometimes we don't, but we always try to help.
I feel like you have misunderstood my intentions with the post. I was not judging the entire community at all, I really wanted to invest my time and learn in your community..I was trying to delete that post once I realized that there was an introduction page because I did not want to start off on the wrong foot. I couldn't figure out how to delete it so I rewrote it because I wanted start over with my introduction and then ask my questions hoping I would be better understood..

Ohangus

Ormond Beach ,Florida
Hi, and welcome! Tortoise people are my people too ❤️
I’ve been here for a few months now and that’s really the first post that I saw that seemed like the drama of Facebook. So, I wouldn’t say that’s the usual type of thing here at all!

The people here are super quick to offer advice because we all love torts in general, right? Some people are not receptive to constructive criticism, and some people aren’t great at sugar coating things and can come off as brash.. but I’ve yet to have a negative experience here yet and I came in knowing almost nothing!!

I believe most of the moderators here have been raising torts for decades. And from what I can tell, they threw away the old “rules” when better advice became available. I trust their information because they’re always looking for the best ways to give their torts the very best lives :)

Again, welcome! What kind of shelled friends do you have?
Thank you so much for your reply. I did not want to come off on the wrong foot with that post. Once I realized there was an introduction page I want to start over. I'm having a hard time figuring out the posting system so I'm hoping that every post attempted is not going to post one after another LOL. Thank you for welcoming me. At this time I have a five year old sulcata and an adult red foot rescue. I have some questions and I'm really excited to find a place that I am pretty positive we'll have the answers. I'm going to thank you again for your welcoming post and try to post this one see if I can get one right thank you again

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Welcome. Many different totoise owners and breeders from numerous countries on this forum who will try and help according to your questions.

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
Welcome to the forum, there are a lot of knowledgeable people here.