New Member - Marginated Brothers Mating?

G-5

Location (City and/or State)
San diego
Hello! I 'm in San Diego and have 2 adult male marginated torts (Carl Reiner & Mel Brooks) which i adopted 4 years ago from the local turtle & tort society. They told me the boys were from the same clutch and have lived together their entire lives. I also have a russian (Rosie Grier - sexed by a vet at a tort show) that i've had for almost 20 years. They live in a ~15x40' outdoor enclosure with lots of native plants, hides and an unheated house. They live happily together - the russian behaves himself i think b/c he's outnumbered / outsized so he leaves the other 2 alone. The brothers have never brumated since I got them (my russian goes to ground every year Oct - Mar-ish).

Carl & Mel usually hump vigorously throughout the day. They've become infamous with the neighbors and I don't have a problem with their antics (Happy Pride Month!). They switch roles and have some wear on the back of their shells but no other injuries (I inspect them often). Their eyes are clear, they still have hearty appetites.

Lately, they have both been spending the day in the same corner of the enclosure and their shenanigans have stopped. They spend the night in the tort house as usual. I think it may be the May Grey/June Gloom weather we have this time of year (although it does get sunny in the afternoons but even then they stay in the same spot).

Should I be concerned?
Any advice or thoughts on my 2 boys?

Thanks!

Attachments

• DaBoyz.jpg
    DaBoyz.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 2

Megatron's Mom

North Little Rock, Arkansas
Welcome to the forum. Yes this is a concern. It's ok you didn't know better. I was told all sort of wrong information too. We learn and do better.

Sadly you are witnessing stress and dominance issues. They are not friends, they are not happy to be in the same space. Your poor Russian torte is also trying to avoid them do to bullying. You need to separate all three.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hey, welcome to the forum. I am afraid that the responses you have gotten so far are DEAD RIGHT. It's absolutely no fun for your tortoises to be together, and they are doing their best to let you see just that, but it's being misinterpreted by you, their owner and beloved keeper. Please let the experts on this forum help you to set up your torts as they should be, and must be, to survive and thrive in your care! Thank you.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
@G-5 Welcome! It's very hard to come here for the first time and be told "It's all wrong"
Are you here for real answers to the real problem you are having? I can guarantee none of your tortoises are having 'Pride' with what's going on. Neither one of your boys are proud, they are stressed and will be until the others dead. It is very common for a rescue to give absolutely WRONG INFO. It is now up to you, with answers to your questions and solutions to your problems. I can only hope 'Pride' doesn't get in the way of these tortoises being taken care of properly.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Well all we can do is hope somehow these tortoises get the care they need. It is a shame when pride gets in the way, the tortoises are ALWAYS the ones to suffer. I wish the best for you @G-5 but most important I hope you do what is right for these 2, remember they can't do it themselves it takes you.