New member. My new Russian tortoise will not eat.

hsmithwick

Location (City and/or State)
Jamesville NC
Hi! My name is Heather Cecci. I bought a tortoise from turtles and tortoises inc. he has not eaten ANYTHING since I got him 7 days ago. I will include pictures and as much detail as possible. The substrate is cypress mulch blend from Lowe’s. I have a ceramic heat bulb on one end over his basking stone with the temperature shown below on the black digital thermometer. I stopped using the cub bulb because I was told it was way too bright by the person I bought him from. He said they like the temperature 75-80 max being 80. I started off feeding him salad mix . I have tried cactus pads, dandelion, hibiscus flower and leaf. Today I have a mix of salad grape leaves hibiscus. I’m also have pellets in the enclosure. I really think this tortoise is just totally miserable. I noticed he will sometimes run his eyes. He really doesn’t move around much at all. I gave him a warm soak yesterday and offered him his breakfast. He immediately stuck his head in the corner and sat still. When I got home at lunch he had moved to his hiding area. Today he is turned around facing outward and I have placed his salad i front of him and left him alone - which is painful to do. Should I take him outside?

Attachments

• E8AE2901-F1C1-4F8C-9E82-502F3F1D89C8.jpeg
    E8AE2901-F1C1-4F8C-9E82-502F3F1D89C8.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 6
  • 83F66640-7D64-443C-81D7-AA46770F9A27.jpeg
    83F66640-7D64-443C-81D7-AA46770F9A27.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 5
  • BFD119A0-2855-40A0-8CB2-3DF8FE529D3F.jpeg
    BFD119A0-2855-40A0-8CB2-3DF8FE529D3F.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
  • 3CB32CD9-F636-494E-ABEC-FAE5D755E743.jpeg
    3CB32CD9-F636-494E-ABEC-FAE5D755E743.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 4
  • 573E72C2-5745-4FCE-9718-25B0F281EB5D.jpeg
    573E72C2-5745-4FCE-9718-25B0F281EB5D.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 4

hsmithwick

Jamesville NC
Also: I decided to soak him in warm water (although I did do it yesterday ) because he was just sitting at the edge of his hideout not moving with his eyes closed. I noticed what I think is a poop - I’ll put a picture of it. (Sorry y’all, this is my first time having a tortoise as a pet.) I also got a picture during his soak of his eye which he opened for a minute.

Attachments

• 794B028A-B05E-4F14-96ED-6623899C0781.jpeg
    794B028A-B05E-4F14-96ED-6623899C0781.jpeg
    592.7 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He needs a basking light to heat up under that reaches 95-100 at tortoise level. If he can't bask, he can't digest his food.
He needs water available 24/7
Remove the towel and you will need to give a much bigger enclosure. Minimum of a 4x8 foot.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi! My name is Heather Cecci. I bought a tortoise from turtles and tortoises inc. he has not eaten ANYTHING since I got him 7 days ago. I will include pictures and as much detail as possible. The substrate is cypress mulch blend from Lowe’s. I have a ceramic heat bulb on one end over his basking stone with the temperature shown below on the black digital thermometer. I stopped using the cub bulb because I was told it was way too bright by the person I bought him from. He said they like the temperature 75-80 max being 80. I started off feeding him salad mix . I have tried cactus pads, dandelion, hibiscus flower and leaf. Today I have a mix of salad grape leaves hibiscus. I’m also have pellets in the enclosure. I really think this tortoise is just totally miserable. I noticed he will sometimes run his eyes. He really doesn’t move around much at all. I gave him a warm soak yesterday and offered him his breakfast. He immediately stuck his head in the corner and sat still. When I got home at lunch he had moved to his hiding area. Today he is turned around facing outward and I have placed his salad i front of him and left him alone - which is painful to do. Should I take him outside?
Start here. Read through the temperate species care sheet at the bottom. This will make sure that none of the common mistakes are slowing you down:

hsmithwick

Jamesville NC
He needs a basking light to heat up under that reaches 95-100 at tortoise level. If he can't bask, he can't digest his food.
He needs water available 24/7
Remove the towel and you will need to give a much bigger enclosure. Minimum of a 4x8 foot.
Ok I’ll take the towel off. There is water in one of the terra cotta trays, I think it was just low in that picture . I added the towel thinking maybe he didn’t feel hidden enough in the pot. I have a ceramic heat bulb that doesn’t emit lights , does it need to have light? I had the ceramic bulb and basking light and the place I got him from said it easy way to hot (87) and way to bright. He said and I quote “you are basically cooking him” I have two books I have been referencing from , they dont say anything like the seller tells me and I have never been so confused in my life. I thought I had researched enough to move forward with the getting a tortoise. He is supposed to be a class pet ( not a traditional school).

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sadly most info out there is wrong or old outdated info and most pet stores don't have a clue.
The enclosure needs to be big enough to give a proper gradient of temps. Day should range from 75-80 and then one end have the basking area of 95-100.
An adult needs a minimum of a 4x8 foot. A humid hide of 50%.
Hatchling needs a closed chamber with 80% humidity.
Lighting should be a tube florescent uvb
Incandescent flood bulb for basking
And temps at night can get down into the 60's.
87 is too hot if it's an all over temp, but the enclosure is also too small to properly house him.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Tortoises are often very withdrawn in a new environment - it can take weeks to settle in a new place enough to want to eat or even come out of hiding. Don't let it worry you - just let him settle.If you can get his lights and heating sorted, he will feel more comfortable and safe.
You sy he is going to be a school pet - in that case, it is even more important to make sure his living conditions are right, as he may well inspire pupils to want a tortoise of their own, and they have to learn from you how to look after him. You are going to have to teach them about everything you learn here yourself !
People here are very kind and helpful, and as long as you follow what they say, and what the care sheets tell you,and ignore what pet shops or anyone else says, your tortoise should flourish. And if there are any problems,
there will be someone who can help out and advise.
Best wishes from Angie

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Welcome and thank you for trying to give the best care to your tortoise. You will get the best advice here so stick with us!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hello. I'm so glad you found TFO. I have a little Russian also and yes all of the misinformation out there did the same thing to me. I finally stopped even looking. But after years of being totally alone in my experience I tried online again. I'm so glad I found this site You are at the right site for the correct info. Do you have a way to face your tortoise's hide so the morning sun wakes the darling up? Like facing a window with the morning sun shining in? Then place some fresh food on a food tile not too far away from the hide. It could be stress from the move or even the stress from the previous living quarters. Whatever it is though I'm sure you'll get a lot of input and info here.😊🐢

hsmithwick

Jamesville NC
Tortoises are often very withdrawn in a new environment - it can take weeks to settle in a new place enough to want to eat or even come out of hiding. Don't let it worry you - just let him settle.If you can get his lights and heating sorted, he will feel more comfortable and safe.
You sy he is going to be a school pet - in that case, it is even more important to make sure his living conditions are right, as he may well inspire pupils to want a tortoise of their own, and they have to learn from you how to look after him. You are going to have to teach them about everything you learn here yourself !
People here are very kind and helpful, and as long as you follow what they say, and what the care sheets tell you,and ignore what pet shops or anyone else says, your tortoise should flourish. And if there are any problems,
there will be someone who can help out and advise.
Best wishes from Angie
Thank you for the encouragement!!! I have been so down, feeling foolish and like o had made a huge mistake. I wish I had found this forum before all the other information.

adc

ELIZABETHTOWN
I had a huge outdoor pen and between 12 and 18 turtles at a time. Takes a while for them to eat after you change their environment. They are stressed from the move IMHO