Carlyw

Hello, I have recently adopted a 5 year old Russian tortoise. He was previously fed tomatoes and fruit and I have now changed his diet to roses and baby leaves. Im struggling to find anything else on the list due to living in the middle east. Its my first tortoise and want to give him the best start. Its very warm out here and starting to get humid also, will he be ok living in this? Also, can you recommend outside living for him? He is living on a big balcony with obstacles and I take him to grass for a walk every day for an hour which he loves.
Any advice welcome.
Thank you! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Carly, and welcome to the Forum!

Russian tortoises are browsers and will eat mostly broad-leaf weeds and plants. I'm sure there are edible weeds where you live, just be sure to not pick weeds that have been sprayed with chemicals. If you are in doubt, you can post pictures of your weeds here and we'll try to I.D. if they're edible or not. In the mean time, you can buy some of the packaged salads to feed him.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Just remember that Russians are great climbers, so besides making sure that balcony has some shade, a good lid might be a good idea too. :) Glad you have joined us.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Carly welcome to the TFO from AZ. RT are very special and enjoy your tort

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

tortoise Inc

5 Year Member
New Zealand
Cool, where in the Middle East do you live, I live on a Island in the South Pacific called New Zealand
Wendy

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Welcome to the forum! We would love to see a picture of your tortoise.
:)

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. Good to have you here. Share some pictures with us Please. We love to see your new Russian Tortoise.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Welcome to TFO. It sounds like you're making improvements in his life already. Enjoy, Russians are a great spunky species. I love mine