New Mom

SMG

Location (City and/or State)
South FL
Hello. I'm Suzy. Live in South Florida. I've always wanted a tortoise and was given one yesterday. A friends dog found it in their backyard. :tort:
Not sure what type it is. So feel free to share if you do. :)
Was also given a 'Tortoise House'
that's approx 24"l x 36"w x 12"h
Been reading about Tortoises and tortoise care for quite a while. But any and all advice is appreciated.
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Suzy

Last edited:

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
He's very nice looking! Did your friend put up fliers? They are escape artist and definitely could be a neighbors.

SMG

South FL
He's very nice looking! Did your friend put up fliers? They are escape artist and definitely could be a neighbors.

Yes he's has. He's asked all surrounding neighbors and asked all the neighborhood kids. No one knows of anyone that had a tortoise. It was driving his dog crazy. So for both their sake he is here now.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Suzy:

That's a Russian tortoise, and he's been someone's pet for a long enough time to have some pretty big "indoor" growth rings.

I know it's a personal choice, but I'd like to ask you to not use the "tortoise house." Those are just plain not big enough, and your new tortoise is full grown and obviously used to living outside (he has escaped, after all), so containing him in a small box is just (in my opinion) cruel! If at all possible, make him a safe outdoor habitat. If that's not possible, even then one of those blue kiddy pools or a Rubbermaid water trough would be better than that tortoise house.

SMG

South FL
Thank you for the replies. I would have never thought it was full grown. But I guess that can be a good thing.
Yvonne being in south Florida I plan to make an area outside for 'him' to stay. I have an area in mind. An unused gather bed. I'll take some pics later.
Tidgy's dad. Thanks for the links. I like that there's a seed source in there.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A cute tort! GOD bless.

Please read the threads that (Adam) @Tidgy's Dad 's mentioned and do not hesitate to ask ANY question if in need of help/in doubt.

And a very warm welcome to the forum!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Thanks for all the replies.
I may have found his owner. Waiting for them to email me pics to be sure.
If so I'll surely be looking for a new shelled friend but will be happy to know he's going home.
Yes, that's great that he's being returned.
Tell them about Tortoise Forum. ;)
And now you've got plenty of time to decide on a species you'd like and get the set up right before you begin. :):tort::)