New Mum Panic

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Hi all,

You may be hearing from me quite a lot over the next few days.

Got my baby yesterday, initially he was having a good look around the enclosure. Then later on he burrowed into the substrate and stayed there all night, reappearing this morning. Since he reappeared he’s just been laying to the side of the basking lamp asleep.

I’ve just put him in his first bath, and he’s asleep in it.... is that normal?

Hasn’t eaten or drank since I got him but it’s only been 14 hours lol

Also- one other thing, the water dish in the enclosure... the water feels cold, is that ok? Should I move it closer to the basking lamp?

Last edited:

Kasia

Poland
You forgot to mention what kind of tortoise is your baby...;) I would say in generał give him time to adjust, soak him daily and when he poops get it checked for parasites to be on the safe side. Water can feel cold, in the wild they drink from all sorts of places so if temperures are warm enough thats not a problem. And babys aren’t as active, tend to sleep a lot so as I wrote two lines above - give him time and if that isn’t a problem put pics of your setup and temperature values so if needed members can comment on that if any ajustments are needed.

Last edited:

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
You forgot to mention what kind of tortoise is your baby...;) I would say in generał give him time to adjust, soak him daily and when he poops get it checked for parasites to be on the safe side. Water can feel cold, in the wild they drink from all sorts of places so if temperures are warm enough thats not a problem. And babys aren’t as active, tend to sleep a lot so as I wrote two lines above - give him time!!!;)

Thank you!

He’s a baby Russian, I don’t know how old but he’s tiny I would say the plastron measures 1.5inch. My temps are all good, according to the info I got from here so I’m confident on that. Maybe I just need to give him time.
He’s just had a 20 min soak and he didn’t appear to dislike it. I’ve given him food endive, chicory, lambs lettuce, romaine and picked some fresh dandelions so I’m hoping it will temp him at some point. I’m waiting for my planted weeds to grow.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
He’s eating!!!!

Oh gosh I need to learn to be patient.

I do have a question about soaking.... the water got cold in like seconds... I changed the water 4 times in 20 mins... is that what you guys do? Is there a way to keep the water warm? With some kind of electronic device?

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
He’s eating!!!!

Oh gosh I need to learn to be patient.

I do have a question about soaking.... the water got cold in like seconds... I changed the water 4 times in 20 mins... is that what you guys do? Is there a way to keep the water warm? With some kind of electronic device?
I have a sulcata, but I typically fill the tub with enough water to cover the plastron without being too deep, at around 95F. I mount a heat lamp nearby to keep the ambient temps up while he's soaking.

I check the water temp with an infrared temp gun every 5 minutes or so. If it starts to dip below 90F I swap out the water for clean warm water. It helps if you have two soaking tubs [emoji846]

Congratulations on your baby!

Kasia

Poland
I have a sulcata, but I typically fill the tub with enough water to cover the plastron without being too deep, at around 95F. I mount a heat lamp nearby to keep the ambient temps up while he's soaking.

I check the water temp with an infrared temp gun every 5 minutes or so. If it starts to dip below 90F I swap out the water for clean warm water. It helps if you have two soaking tubs [emoji846]

Congratulations on your baby!
Yeap I swap it as well 3 times for a 25 min soak...;) Good luck for you both;)

ScStange891

Pennsylvania
Hi! I'm far from an expert, but as someone who also has a baby Russian, and who freaked out a lot early on, here's my take:

-Burrowing into substrate/napping at random times and place: Pretty normal. Russians are a quirky bunch...also it's a tiny tiny baby...just make sure the temps are OK.
-Sleeping in the bath: Normal. For the 8 months I've had him, my guy sleeps for the first half of his bath til he's ready to poop.
-Soaking Temperatures Dropping: I actually put a heat source, such as a ceramic heat emitter (CHE) or a lower wattage basking bulb, near his tub when he's soaking. That way, it stays warm enough for the full half hour. I just make sure it's plenty high enough so as not to hurt his eyes or dry him out.
-Water Dish: What are you using for this? Most people on this forum would recommend a small terra cotta saucer (found in most gardening stores) sun into the substrate and only filled a little bit (in case the tort were to flip climbing out, you wouldn't want him to drown). If you have one of those "Repti-Ramp" or other gimmicky dishes, please get it out. Those are tortoise death traps (as in, tortoises die in them all the time from flipping and drowning, etc.). As far as the temperature goes...as others have said, get a temp gun. As long as it's relatively "room temperature" and the tort has a basking spot of 95-105F, it shouldn't be a big issue.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Hi! I'm far from an expert, but as someone who also has a baby Russian, and who freaked out a lot early on, here's my take:

-Burrowing into substrate/napping at random times and place: Pretty normal. Russians are a quirky bunch...also it's a tiny tiny baby...just make sure the temps are OK.
-Sleeping in the bath: Normal. For the 8 months I've had him, my guy sleeps for the first half of his bath til he's ready to poop.
-Soaking Temperatures Dropping: I actually put a heat source, such as a ceramic heat emitter (CHE) or a lower wattage basking bulb, near his tub when he's soaking. That way, it stays warm enough for the full half hour. I just make sure it's plenty high enough so as not to hurt his eyes or dry him out.
-Water Dish: What are you using for this? Most people on this forum would recommend a small terra cotta saucer (found in most gardening stores) sun into the substrate and only filled a little bit (in case the tort were to flip climbing out, you wouldn't want him to drown). If you have one of those "Repti-Ramp" or other gimmicky dishes, please get it out. Those are tortoise death traps (as in, tortoises die in them all the time from flipping and drowning, etc.). As far as the temperature goes...as others have said, get a temp gun. As long as it's relatively "room temperature" and the tort has a basking spot of 95-105F, it shouldn't be a big issue.

Thank you for your reply.

Well day 1 was not too bad after all (I took a day off work I was so worried)

After his Bath (I’m referring to it as him as I hate calling it, it) he basked for a while and then headed to the food dish and ate a large piece of lambs lettuce and a large dandelion leaf and some of the flower, so I’m happy he ate. He then pooped-yippee!

I don’t have a mobile lamp, mine are all fixed in the vivarium so I may have to invest in a lamp for soaking.

He has spent all day on the hot side and not once ventured over to the cooler side. My basking temp is 95-98f the cool side is around 80f it does take a while to get to 80 but it’s definitely not cold over there, I turned all lighting and heating off all night and the coldest the tank got overnight was 65f.

I’m not sure why he didn’t head over that side, surely 80f is warm enough?

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Thank you for your reply.

Well day 1 was not too bad after all (I took a day off work I was so worried)

After his Bath (I’m referring to it as him as I hate calling it, it) he basked for a while and then headed to the food dish and ate a large piece of lambs lettuce and a large dandelion leaf and some of the flower, so I’m happy he ate. He then pooped-yippee!

I don’t have a mobile lamp, mine are all fixed in the vivarium so I may have to invest in a lamp for soaking.

He has spent all day on the hot side and not once ventured over to the cooler side. My basking temp is 95-98f the cool side is around 80f it does take a while to get to 80 but it’s definitely not cold over there, I turned all lighting and heating off all night and the coldest the tank got overnight was 65f.

I’m not sure why he didn’t head over that side, surely 80f is warm enough?
Well done. Patients is key. Don't worry we all have been there. I still panic sometimes LoL. As for the soaking what i do is too take two pans one i put hottish water in and the other I put warm water in. The warm water one goes into the other one and that keeps the water warm for longer. I still have to change the water a few times though. I should add the basking bulb as well then I hopefully will only need to change the water after they poop.