New Ornate Painted turtles

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NC
I just added a male and female ornate painted turtles to my collection. THey already ate today and seem to be adjusting really well. The male is 5" and the female is 7". I am hoping to breed them when they are ready. My only problem is that they are used to eating some beef heart and I can't get that around here. I did get them chicken hearts and they ate them, but I am not sure if that is the best substitute.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
beef heart is an excellent occasional food , I believe if they never ate it again it wouldn't affect them ……. they do eat a lot of vegetables , fruits , leaves and weeds …… worms , mice , dog food , bugs , a quality pellet type turtle or fish food is a good thing to get them to eat ……...tomorrow mine will get strawberries and grape leaves , the grape leaves will get eaten first ……….

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not a water turtle person, but regarding organ meat, I heard a long time ago that feeding organ meat is not a good idea. Occasionally is fine, but not part of a steady diet. However, I can't remember why and my friend Google let me down when I tried to find the answer.