New Outdoor Enclosure for my Hermanns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cathy L

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Coast of California
So, here it is. Let me know what you think. We are in the process of builing a cover for it. Now, I bring them in at night.

Attachments

• Torts outdoor enclosure.jpg
    Torts outdoor enclosure.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 164

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I really like it! I like the fact it looks like you can sit on the edge of it (corners atleast) to work with the enclosure and tortoise. (with mine, I have to stand and bend over too much for what my back says is good :( ). Nice wide variety of plants it looks like. They will even look better in time as the grow out. Nice variation in things to climb on and hide in, such as those rocks. Now I would be amiss if I didn't ask, how is your tortoise with getting back onto his feet if he should fall on his back? Asking because there is one spot that looks like it has enough of a drop off, he could land on his back. I also love the none conforming shape. Very nice!!

M

Maggie Cummings

I really like it, very nice. Want to come make one for me???

LindaF

5 Year Member
That is a very nice enclosure! I bet your torts are happy!

Sky2Mina

10 Year Member!
Bangkok
Oh, I love it! Looks like the type of enclosure that could also fit on a balcony. Very nice!

zoogrl

5 Year Member
Missouri
It looks fabulous! I also like that you can sit on the edge to interact with your tortoises. I'll bet they love the enclosure!

Cathy L

5 Year Member
Terry Allan Hall said:
Nice! What are the dimensions?

The long sides are about 65" X 80". it is about 10" high.

Jacqui said:
I really like it! I like the fact it looks like you can sit on the edge of it (corners atleast) to work with the enclosure and tortoise. (with mine, I have to stand and bend over too much for what my back says is good :( ). Nice wide variety of plants it looks like. They will even look better in time as the grow out. Nice variation in things to climb on and hide in, such as those rocks. Now I would be amiss if I didn't ask, how is your tortoise with getting back onto his feet if he should fall on his back? Asking because there is one spot that looks like it has enough of a drop off, he could land on his back. I also love the none conforming shape. Very nice!!

So far, since it is a new enclosure, I watch them when they are out there. I have not seen one land on its back. I have seen them do that on other occasions and they do get themselves back on their feet again. It is still something I should watch for, though. Thanks!

Brooke

5 Year Member
Do you leave the enclosure open without any protection from predators? My Russian is in a totally enclosed pen because there are all kinds of predators. Hawks, coyotes, dogs, crows, rats, raccoons, and probably others I have not thought of.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Very nice, great job. I love it that it is not square or rectangled. I like the little ledges, too. What is the substrate? Looks good whatever you are using.

Cathy L

5 Year Member
Brooke said:
Do you leave the enclosure open without any protection from predators? My Russian is in a totally enclosed pen because there are all kinds of predators. Hawks, coyotes, dogs, crows, rats, raccoons, and probably others I have not thought of.

Right now it is not covered and so I bring them in at night. We are building a cover for it. Dogs can't get in our yard and I have never seen raccoons or possums here, but I don't want to take a chance.

DixieParadise said:
Very nice, great job. I love it that it is not square or rectangled. I like the little ledges, too. What is the substrate? Looks good whatever you are using.

Thanks! We have pretty sandy soil here so for the substrate I used organic top soil and sphagum moss.

helenab

5 Year Member
Cathy L said:
So, here it is. Let me know what you think. We are in the process of builing a cover for it. Now, I bring them in at night.

wow that is beautiful, saved the photo so I can copy some of that. Great job

Status
Not open for further replies.