New outdoor enclosure

Brannon

Location (City and/or State)
United States
I modified an existing raised garden bed by making the sides taller and making a screened top that is removable. It isn't perfect by any means but my 9 year old son and I put it together. Not bad for our first build project. He was super proud of his mama :) Spike seems to love it and crawled all over the place in it. He's now buried under the "cat grass" plant sleeping as it's nighttime here. I plan on adding more substrate, grass and leaves. The wood on top of the screen is just there until I can put the latches on the screened lid.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    398.7 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 68
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 59

MrMarg&me

Temecula California
Spike will be much healthier living outside. I have three three-toed box turtles and they thrive in their outdoor homes. Our son in law calls their enclosures "The Shire". :p

Brannon

United States
Spike will be much healthier living outside. I have three three-toed box turtles and they thrive in their outdoor homes. Our son in law calls their enclosures "The Shire". :p
Do yours like to dig and just chill out in the hole they dug? He ripped up the cat grass and dug a hole and stayed there for a while.

MrMarg&me

Temecula California
Yes they do love to dig and then remain in the hole for some time. I think they use the soil to regulate their body temperature. Also it seems to make them feel secure knowing they are camouflaged. Occasionally I get worried that I can not find them and then I will dig about myself until they are located. Then I feel bad because I unnecessarily disturbed them.
My husband always reminds me they have not escaped!

Brannon

United States
Yes they do love to dig and then remain in the hole for some time. I think they use the soil to regulate their body temperature. Also it seems to make them feel secure knowing they are camouflaged. Occasionally I get worried that I can not find them and then I will dig about myself until they are located. Then I feel bad because I unnecessarily disturbed them.
My husband always reminds me they have not escaped!
I did that today too! It was Spike's first day/night out in the outdoor enlosure. I came out to see how he'd done at about 4pm and I couldn't find him! It scared me because even though I have a screened top on his enclosure, and he screen was still intact I saw the uprooted cat grass and couldn't find him. My first thought was that something had gotten in and got him!! Then I realized he had his body buried and his little head was peeking out at me.

MrMarg&me

Temecula California
I get the feeling they see us before we see them. Some times they will be out in the open but they blend in so well I overlook them. I read on this forum that turtles and tortoises do not have face muscles like we do so they can not make facial expressions.But it seems when I finally locate them and we make eye contact my turtles expression changes. It always makes me laugh.

AJK Aquaria

What are the dimensions of the enclosure? How much sirect sun does it receive?

Looks like you've provided the essentials. Maybe some fallen leaves for additional cover. My only concern is that its too small. Looks like you have some extra real estate there to expand.

Brannon

United States
What are the dimensions of the enclosure? How much sirect sun does it receive?

Looks like you've provided the essentials. Maybe some fallen leaves for additional cover. My only concern is that its too small. Looks like you have some extra real estate there to expand.
It's 3 ft by 3ft. I'm in Hawaii and it gets lots of sun throughout the day. I want to build him a bigger enclosure for sure. This was just done for a temporary home for him. My sons teacher gave him to us unexpectedly and prior to this he was in a huge plastic bin. He seems so much happier outside. I will be adding leaves and have added more grass also. He seems to like to dig up the grass and redecorate his enclosure