New Indoor enclosure

Yurtle

5 Year Member
This my box turtles new indoor enclosure, I used a book shelf as the base and lined it with plastic, then built a lid and sides around it. The lid is made of mesh-screening and window insulator sheets, making it viewable on one side so the turtles can't see out, but I can see in.

I'm not a 100% pleased with how it looks I'm the inside and I'm considering changing some of the plants and maybe adding a few rock hides. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated
8bc430f2c5b4d8318eca7b388cec1456.jpg
898843e2a056a39f60105729384fdf26.jpg

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Looks good, but a couple suggestions. Definitely some more plants. And to keep your water a little cleaner longer :) you can put large pebbles or pieces of slate around the water bowl. That way they're not tracking substrate directly into it.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
looks nice. i would put some small flat rocks next to the water dish, only bc they have a tendency to make water filthy all the time, and the rocks can help knock some of the dirt off their shell and feet before they enter the water.

oops, didn't read your post, Leigti- i agree with you.

Last edited:

Purplechic

That's a very nice enclosure but I do have a question I have an indoor turtle as well and she's I don't know probably about 4 or 5 months old now that I've had her, she's a rescue she used to bury herself in the substrate where I couldn't even see her and then maybe she would come out in the afternoon on a weekend that I would see her but during the day if she did come out, I was at work so I wouldn't see her but because I put a little camera on her I'm able to see her when at work now through my phone but my thing is now she's not burying herself anymore she's actually sleeping on top of the substrate with her neck stretched out and her legs stretched back it's so great to see, :) that's a good thing right?

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
That's a very nice enclosure but I do have a question I have an indoor turtle as well and she's I don't know probably about 4 or 5 months old now that I've had her, she's a rescue she used to bury herself in the substrate where I couldn't even see her and then maybe she would come out in the afternoon on a weekend that I would see her but during the day if she did come out, I was at work so I wouldn't see her but because I put a little camera on her I'm able to see her when at work now through my phone but my thing is now she's not burying herself anymore she's actually sleeping on top of the substrate with her neck stretched out and her legs stretched back it's so great to see, :) that's a good thing right?

Neither way is an issue. Sometimes they enjoy burrowing, and sometimes they enjoy a bask in the warmth.

Alaura

Ohio
That is awesome looking, I need to revamp jimmy-steve's quarters