New outdoor MEP habitat. Any suggestions?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I had a banana tree that came in a 5 gallon pot, planted it in the Manouria yard. They ate it to the ground in one day, then dug it up and ate the roots the next day.

I would make it more shady.

mikeh

5 Year Member
Looks really nice Severn. Elephant ears plants look great. The ones you sent me are always eaten first. They especially seem to like the big bright green leafed kind, stumps and all.
I agree with Yvonne on overall more shade.

Fireflyfarm

5 Year Member
Thanks all, we're still in the process of planting it all out. I'm going to build a trellis with a vine of some sort on it. Perhaps muscadine or Passion flower. We're also putting out more bananas. The MEP LOVES the elephant ears, but he doesn't seem to eat the bananas...yet. I grow them for him so he can eat all he wants. The shade cloth area has a mister on a timer that keeps that area wet and muddy. He loves the mud and the water soaking dish. This weekend I'm installing a sprinkler that covers a larger area so he has more moisture. I only see him basking in the sun on cool mornings (below 60) then he moves into his concrete hide or the elephant ears.

Fireflyfarm

5 Year Member
Glad your elephant ears are doing well Mike. Mine love them so I figured yours would too. Let me know when you need more. I have TONS!