New Owner

wilsonalexandrel

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
Hi guys just joined., Just want to know my russian tortoise seems to be fine but I keep picking him up to see if he is alive. I care too much about him where I cant sleep anymore,. Is there a way to tell if the tortoise is ok?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
If your Tortoise is eating drinking and going to the bathroom there's nothing to worry about.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Hello and welcome, I did the same when I got mine (still kinda do sometimes:D) Is your tortoise active, does he eat well, does he poo and pee and is he alert? Pics will help also of both your tortoise and his enclosure

lilly_sand99

Marshalltown IA
When my tort sleep she looks dead. And some times I walk by I tickle her back feet to see if they twitch. I have had her a bit longer, but I would definitely recommend tickling her feet instead, cuz I know if I pick my tort up she gets mad at me but if I tickle her feet it's only slight irritation

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hi
IMG_2188.jpg
The reason your tort is sleeping all the time is “ the food chain “ but if you pick it up everyday and give it a bath he will find out that you don’t want to eat him and he will start to move around his enclosure more !
IMG_2188.jpg

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hi guys just joined., Just want to know my russian tortoise seems to be fine but I keep picking him up to see if he is alive. I care too much about him where I cant sleep anymore,. Is there a way to tell if the tortoise is ok?
Hello. I still go through the no sleep thing.(12 year owner of a Russian) I'm really glad i joined the tortoise forum because of that. I joined in 2018. There's so much real information and support here to help you...keep reading. I don't handle my tortoise a lot except for routine care. He likes his space. But after a while of just doing routine care in the beginning, he now begs to go outside. When I go to his room to feed him he comes out to eat. He likes a shell rub only because he thinks it's spring and I'm going to take him outside. Have fun but don't trust that little monkey 1 inch. They don't call them an escape artist for nothing. Best wishes.

Exeter
Hi I'm a new tort owner too. And I can't stop watching mine. My tort is very active and very mischievous. I've only had my tortoise a few weeks but I have learnt her routine now.
In the morning she's up before me waiting. She remains half a sleep for best part of the morning where she will bask ffor an hour, then she'll stuff her face. Then she will find a spot and she pulls her head in lifts her legs up and goes to sleep. Nothing to worry about. Torts I have learnt live life literally in the slow lane. They don't rush and they are very lazy at times. But don't worry to much, they are very hardy.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You're not alone. Most new tortoise keepers are a little disappointed that what they thought they were buying (a neat shelled pet) turns out to be a pretty rock. Tortoises have not undergone years and years of human intervention to make them 'domesticated.' They are wild animals. Some of them get used to people and will interact with people, but some never do - hiding in their shell whenever they see you coming. Just enjoy him. You're not going to get much back, just the satisfaction that you're giving him a great home and he's healthy and satisfied.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
You're not alone. Most new tortoise keepers are a little disappointed that what they thought they were buying (a neat shelled pet) turns out to be a pretty rock. Tortoises have not undergone years and years of human intervention to make them 'domesticated.' They are wild animals. Some of them get used to people and will interact with people, but some never do - hiding in their shell whenever they see you coming. Just enjoy him. You're not going to get much back, just the satisfaction that you're giving him a great home and he's healthy and satisfied.
HAHA! I bought mine as potential wife replacement and haven't been disappointed. My wife laughs, but if anything happens to her I am set. Long Life-check, Ignores me on purpose- check, demands I feed it-check, makes a mess and expects me to clean it up-check, and does not require physical contact-check. I am super happy with my little Russian and look forward too many more years

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
HAHA! I bought mine as potential wife replacement and haven't been disappointed. My wife laughs, but if anything happens to her I am set. Long Life-check, Ignores me on purpose- check, demands I feed it-check, makes a mess and expects me to clean it up-check, and does not require physical contact-check. I am super happy with my little Russian and look forward too many more years
Hehehehe! I call my little guy the walking rock. Sometimes he just studies a situation with his head stuck out for an hour or two. There's no mistaking what he decided.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
My tortoise seems to be very curious and interested in whatever I'm doing. Whenever I'm doing something like spot cleaning, or planting a plant, he will come over and watch me. However he doesn't like when I bother him when he's doing something.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
My newest addition who is a 8 month old Greek runs over to my hand when I change the water bowl and gives me an all-mighty nip, she bites then pulls her head in with my skin in her beak and pushes away with her front legs. Owww:(:D

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
My newest addition who is a 8 month old Greek runs over to my hand when I change the water bowl and gives me an all-mighty nip, she bites then pulls her head in with my skin in her beak and pushes away with her front legs. Owww:(:D
Sheesh! Maybe wear some light gardening gloves until she learns that you are not a threat and biting doesn't work.

Turbo'smom

Raleigh, NC

Jenna kamenski

South Carolina
I am constantly worrying about mine to the point I’m texting my mom or my husband through out the day while I’m at work to make sure torque is ok...and if we’re out doing errands for a couple hours I rush inside and go straight to him lol

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
My tortoise seems to be very curious and interested in whatever I'm doing. Whenever I'm doing something like spot cleaning, or planting a plant, he will come over and watch me. However he doesn't like when I bother him when he's doing something.[/

My Sulcata is follows me if I’m planting or clearing rocks (at a good speed too! she wants food, shes a nonstop eater...)
She attempts to walked in and out between my legs and over my boots! She is 23 pounds... not small

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome!

Did you just recently bring this little guy home? If so, remember that him, you are a tall predator swooping out of the sky. Also remember that tortoises spend most of their outside time camouflaging themselves from various predators. It's pretty much what they do.

Give him some time and space to settle in and get a routine.

You can always install a camera. I'm not saying I'm obsessive about checking on my tortoise but most people would, lol.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I'm so glad you're still with us. We don't usually have all these ads. I thought I got invaded by the internet monster. I'm sure they'll get it straightened up soon.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Welcome!

Did you just recently bring this little guy home? If so, remember that him, you are a tall predator swooping out of the sky. Also remember that tortoises spend most of their outside time camouflaging themselves from various predators. It's pretty much what they do.

Give him some time and space to settle in and get a routine.

You can always install a camera. I'm not saying I'm obsessive about checking on my tortoise but most people would, lol.
Great idea! Hehehe.