new owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kathy Coles

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
I have been observing for about 3 weeks a red foot tortoise who is all of 4 inches long at a pet store. He is eating, moving around nicely and has no bubbles in his nose. I know I will probably pay more for this first tort but I'm afraid of sight unseen. I am going to use this site alot to learn, learn, learn.

mchong9606

10 Year Member!
Welcome to the forum. There is so much useful and up to date info in this forum regard redfoots. Good luck!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi Kathy! Sounds like you have found your tortoise. I myself, much prefer getting a tortoise I have been able to see and have my hands on. It's well worth the extra money, but then too you can usually add another $50 on to any tortoise you have shipped to you, plus you have an unknown quality of animal and your own shipping stress issues to deal with, not to mention the tortoise's stress (which is actually usually very low). Welcome!

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Welcome!
I did the same with one of my RF. I observed her for weeks and weeks I couldn't stop thinking about her. I tried my best to walk away but rather brought her home and she has been great.

rickyn0792

5 Year Member
slidell, la
Welcome I'm looking for a rf buy they range 150 at pet stores new orleans area but planning on getting one soon as a gift for my father trying find a breeder or some place a little cheaper

Kathy Coles

5 Year Member
North Carolina
emysemys said:
Wecome, Kathy!!

There's plenty of good reading here - Tortoise Library

Thank you all for the warm welcome and the hugely helpful link to the library. Zebulon has finally come out of shell, so to speak. I made some huge mistakes right at the start. This site has helped me so much to figure out what was going on and how to fix it. In short, it's all about the heat. His new home now has 90 degrees at one end and about 75 at the other. We live in Maine and there is no way to heat our house like that. His first "cage" wasn't warm enough. He's now in a 36 in X 18 in. tank with a top. He didn't eat. Just hid. You know the drill. And now I am doing the happy dance because my grocery store had dandelions for sale. Nice fresh weeds!!! Yipee. Once warm enough he plowed right in.

Status
Not open for further replies.