New red foots...

Erik Elvis

Location (City and/or State)
Delaware
EDFA6797-65F3-47E0-BF80-AD7395562AB8.jpeg just rehomed some red foots that we’re on a local area Facebook page. Got them their temporary home for the night. Will work on something better tomorrow. They were raised together. One is moderately pyramided the other not at all. I’m guessing I’m going to have to separate them. What do you think?

Erik Elvis

Delaware
Cmon guys what quick tips do you have for me. They werent too happy with the move but turning right back around into their personable selves. I was warned about ol lumpy being a heavy eater and witness3d it today. He ate his mangoes right away and about 40 minutes later I checked on him and was working on the turnip greens still. His pen mate was done and hiding.

I may separate them so I can get a better idea on what I should be feeding them

Have to say I think they took to me fairly kindly.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
LOL! I guess we're all asleep.

RF tortoises seem to get along together better than other species. A couple years ago I adopted two females from one of our members. They lived together for quite a while and then I added a young male. They still live together peacefully. I would keep them together and just watch to see how things go.

These are some of the things I offer (not all at the same time):

endive, escarole, radicchio, turnip greens, mustard greens, dandelion greens (chicory), collards, romaine, mulberry leaves, grape leaves, zucchini, grated carrot, cucumber, edible weeds, moistened Purina Pro Plan dry cat food, Zoo Med Tortoise Diet (forest tortoises), Mazuri Tortoise Diet. I'm sure there's more, but my mind's a blank at the moment.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
View attachment 222485 just rehomed some red foots that we’re on a local area Facebook page. Got them their temporary home for the night. Will work on something better tomorrow. They were raised together. One is moderately pyramided the other not at all. I’m guessing I’m going to have to separate them. What do you think?
Set them up in a closed system . High humidity is needed, no basking spot that will dry them out and add to pyramiding.
For heat use a CHE on a stat set to 80/88f throughout the enclosure. 82/86f is better. Humidity wants to be 80%+. 90% if you can. For light use a strip type uvb tube over the feeding area to one end of the enclosure, so the opposite end is darker.
Thick layer of moist coir for substrate. Then a layer of orchid bark and/or Cyprus mulch on that. Put moist moss in and around the hides. They need to dig in at night and be covered with something moist, I also started adding dry leaves to my moss, this seems to encourage them to hide under the moist dried leaves.

Can you think of anything else other than leaves that can be moist and dry at the same time? :D:D:D

Erik Elvis

Delaware
Thanks for the replies guys. I’m really liking these red foots. Having a hard time finding some of these greens in the local marts. Maybe I’ll try the farmers market. I bought one of those 3x6 mini greenhouses to try out.

Erik Elvis

Delaware
The shy smooth one is really becoming more active. (Likes) head pets.... The pyramided one will come out of hiding when he hears me and come my way. Looking for food I’m sure. Doesn’t like his head or legs touched though. Both eating really well. Took a few weeks for them to settle in. They’re much different than my sulcata who is at best indifferent towards me. He’s still little though.

MountainFox

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Raleigh, NC
I’m glad to hear they are settling in! They’re adorable. My Libbon loves head pets too.

On a slightly related note, I would definitely like Facebook more if it was full of redfoots up for adoption and photos of them chomping and redfooting... Of course, I’d quickly become a CTL (Crazy Tortoise Lady). You know, like a Crazy Cat Lady, but with a lifetime commitment. Okay, now I’m dreaming of converting my house into a massive RF habitat.... Maybe I'm already a CTL!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Glad you are enjoying your new redfoots.
Looking forward to seeing you in your new redfoot habitat. Make sure to post pics.:D

Erik Elvis

Delaware
Thanks! It’s funny how the one will clamor over everything when he sees me thinking I have food.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
View attachment 222485 just rehomed some red foots that we’re on a local area Facebook page. Got them their temporary home for the night. Will work on something better tomorrow. They were raised together. One is moderately pyramided the other not at all. I’m guessing I’m going to have to separate them. What do you think?

Hi there and congrats. We own 4 and hands down, I believe them to be the best tort to own. They are very personable too! How much space you can offer them? A hood size enclosure for now, would be a closed chamber that is 6x3. Or 6x2.

Attachments

• 15c8cd8a1bc23bcf19d444a5c1381caa.jpg
    15c8cd8a1bc23bcf19d444a5c1381caa.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 33
  • images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    6 KB · Views: 32

baldegale

hey! was just wondering what mister/fogger you have? i noticed in the second picture everything was all foggy! (could be the window)

Erik Elvis

Delaware
It’s def the humidifier. I use this one. It seems none of them last long but if I get a year out of it I’ll be happy. I feel bad I still have not upgraded their cage. I’ve been dragging my feet for a couple months on my Sulcatas new cage
. 01641B4B-648F-41F4-99A9-A778F3FBB8F0.png

baldegale

A 4x6 pen. It was kind of a dry run for future building projects. Didn’t come out how I wanted but you live and learn

im building a new 8x3 enclosure for my RF, i might be getting a second RF too. plus im building him a 8x8 outdoor enclosure too. this will be my 4th enclosure build! still learning different techniques and ways of building. so far my second one is my favorite

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
I know the feeling. This will be our 5th build but it will be unique. We are building 2 more levels on top of the 8x2 we have for our 4ye old rf. We have a 7month old and 2 yearlings. They will be on top and in the middle will be a baby russian tort.

Erik Elvis

Delaware
Do you guys think the pyramided one is a cherry head? His head is a orangey red. The yellow looking spot on top of his head were dried out scales. They’re getting better.