New rescue lab

DoubleD1996!

Location (City and/or State)
Memphis
View attachment 337035
Bowie came to live with us today from Texas.

He had a pretty shitty life before, and is obviously used to men hitting him, but he's getting used to us, and to the cold in NH.

Jamie
Hare when people hit dogs to correct them. A change in tone and a simple touch is enough. Glad Bowie could find a better home.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
They are buds! A woman and her dog. Iconic.

Keep these in a baggie in your pocket...:

...he'll learn to love you faster. =DD
You don't really need the treats because dogs know who the good people are, but just to be sure...the treats can't hurt.
Congrats. He's gorgeous!!

ZenHerper

New Jersey
You don't really need the treats because dogs know who the good people are, but just to be sure...the treats can't hurt.
Congrats. He's gorgeous!!
Dogs that are afraid of a demographic usually scent-identify those folks.

A smelly treat overrides the Guy smell and creates a sense of curiosity and positive anticipation. Dogs that behave fearfully around hand/arm gestures can be taught to Like hands moving toward them when there is a wee fishy snack at the end.

(I'll note for the record: many many dogs have Swinging Arm Avoidance, even when there has been no abuse. Training them out of this can be tricky since it is instinctive, but you basically begin by petting the dog only on the side of its body and head.)

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Dogs that are afraid of a demographic usually scent-identify those folks.

A smelly treat overrides the Guy smell and creates a sense of curiosity and positive anticipation. Dogs that behave fearfully around hand/arm gestures can be taught to Like hands moving toward them when there is a wee fishy snack at the end.

(I'll note for the record: many many dogs have Swinging Arm Avoidance, even when there has been no abuse. Training them out of this can be tricky since it is instinctive, but you basically begin by petting the dog only on the side of its body and head.)

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
View attachment 337047

He loves Gail and is still terrified of me, but he's becoming more comfortable in his new surroundings, and with all of us....

Jamie

PS - I think this pic looks like they're singing songs in a pub
Another thing with dogs is to hold your hand palm side down towards them to let them make the first move. Also under their chin so they can sniff. It's non threatening to them.