New Rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maggie Cummings

Torty Mom said:
Maggie, will the sway get better or just stay the same? When the new growth starts to come in, will she kinda flatten out?

I'm not sure about that. Generally with healthy growth the 'pyramids' become little points and the new growth will harden and that would remove the sway.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
maggie3fan said:
A dip in their back like that 'generally' means MBD. She is old enough now that she shouldn't feel soft at all. I would kinda double up on the calcium for a while and try to harden her up. Do you have any TNT? If not, PM me your address and I'll send you some.

The shell thing is worrisome, you can see her shell move when she breathes, but she is active and she was out basking in the sun when I checked on her.

Laura said:
pretty serious issues, but should do ok if eating and cared for. .. fingers crossed..
kinda like my first one.. we built these huge pens with the promise to get some rescues, and I met another tort person,
she got two in.. a desert and a sulcata.. he was prob abou the same size when i brought him home. I couldnt say no or leave him behind.
i was told his life expectancy was not good and probably would not grow.. but he's doing great and twice the size. he wont even be smooth, but he runs now and the new growth is smoother.
Lots of sun, grass and calcium... good luck!!

When we picked her up she would walk around with her head in her shell but today she was out in the sun walking with her head extended out. As long as she has some great new growth and her shell hardens then I will be happy.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just make sure she is fed plenty of calcium-rich foods and gets plenty of sunshine. The sway-back will never go away now. She's too old and established for it to do any changing. But you can get it to harden up (along with all the bones) and the new growth will be smoother.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
emysemys said:
Just make sure she is fed plenty of calcium-rich foods and gets plenty of sunshine. The sway-back will never go away now. She's too old and established for it to do any changing. But you can get it to harden up (along with all the bones) and the new growth will be smoother.

Thanks Yvonne, were gonna make sure she gets all she needs to improve her health and harden her shell.

Zouave

5 Year Member
Toronto
Honey will be fine now that she has a keeper like D. :thumbsup:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
amazing how a little sunshine can often change a tortoise's disposition.

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
emysemys said:

Can you cause internal damage to the animal by changing the diet so much? For example if a person is severely dehydrated you have to give them water in small incremental amounts, you cant just throw them into a pool of water. Would a tortoise that is so severely mal nourished be the same?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Zouave said:
Honey will be fine now that she has a keeper like D. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the kind words!!!!:D

dmmj said:
amazing how a little sunshine can often change a tortoise's disposition.

I just had to bring her in, we just got some un-forcast rain, so she is chowing down on some chopped up cactus and once the sun come back out she will be outside enjoying the sun again..

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Laura said:
rain is ok, as long as it isnt a cold rain... they love it!

Its was 103 degrees before it started to rain, she is back outside exploring the back yard..

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I'm starting to get very jealous of all you people with your beautiful sulcata's. She will have much love with you and I know you will do a wonderful job with her.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
terryo said:
I'm starting to get very jealous of all you people with your beautiful sulcata's. She will have much love with you and I know you will do a wonderful job with her.

Thanks Terry, she is enjoying the yard, it's not as lush as Matt's but we have a lot of vegetation for her to seek shade under or take a few bites if she want's..

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Poor Honey. I can see why you would want to adopt her the second you saw her. I can't wait to see how she improves in the coming days, weeks, and months.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Jacqui said:
Poor Honey. I can see why you would want to adopt her the second you saw her. I can't wait to see how she improves in the coming days, weeks, and months.

I am also looking forward to any and all improvements..

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Ohh poor thing!! Glad she's in much better hands now!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
ChiKat said:
Ohh poor thing!! Glad she's in much better hands now!

She is doing very good and she loves cactus, so she will get all that she wants.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
I'm hoping Honey's changed living conditions / better food / better care will make the best possible outcome for this little one. I get so steamed to see such poor conditioning in animals... I'm glad you have her ~ all the difference in the world.

teri

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
sharkstar said:
I'm hoping Honey's changed living conditions / better food / better care will make the best possible outcome for this little one. I get so steamed to see such poor conditioning in animals... I'm glad you have her ~ all the difference in the world.

teri

It is very frustrating when you see a tortoise like her, Matt told me the guy had her for 3 years. She is so small and sunken in. She seems like a fighter so I will do all I can for her..

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Thats Great To Hear, She Looks Like She Had A Bad Life!
Shes in Great Hands Now, Hooray :)

Status
Not open for further replies.