New Russian tortoise owner and I need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tombomb1997

5 Year Member
Is it ok for my yearling tortoise Sheldon to completely burry himself in his substrate. I'm afraid he will suffocate himself. I just replace his substrate from cypress chips to coir and play sand 50/50 ratio. I read on the Internet that that is the best for them is that true? What substrate do you use?

felix161

5 Year Member
My russian tort is currently burying himself as i type this. Hes never had a problem. Put some moss down. they burrow to regulate there temp and to feel safe. Also just try the coir, people have been telling me that they could ingest the sand while they eat.

Welcome by the way

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, Colorado
tombomb1997 said:
Is it ok for my yearling tortoise Sheldon to completely burry himself in his substrate. I'm afraid he will suffocate himself. I just replace his substrate from cypress chips to coir and play sand 50/50 ratio. I read on the Internet that that is the best for them is that true? What substrate do you use?

Russians are one of the burrowing species, along with sulcatas and Gopherus. Like all burrowing tortoises, they are native to hot, dry environments, so they naturally like to stay underground where it's a little cooler and more humid. Being reptiles, their metabolisms are only about 1/10th as fast as ours, so they need much less oxygen than we do. It's natural for them to stay underground, and they do not suffocate.

Baby tortoises of all species (including yearlings) especially like to remain concealed, because they are prey animals, and they dehydrate more easily. They need to stay in a scrape or a burrow where they can hide from carnivores, and conserve their body's water. This behavior is normal for your tortoise.

As for substrate in an indoor enclosure, I like pure coco coir because it holds moisture and tortoises can dig in it like soil, but it resists the growth of pests like fungi and insects. It also does not promote gut impaction (blockage) if ingested. Although wild tortoises often spend their lives on sandy soils, they rarely ingest it because the plants they eat are upright. In captivity, the food is usually presented on a dish, so if they kick some substrate into the dish, they might eat some of that along with their food. If the substrate contains sand, that can cause gut impaction. Coco coir is safer because it less conducive to gut impaction. My guys swallow theirs sometimes along with their food, but it does not harm them.

Status
Not open for further replies.