New Russian young tortoise.. how active should it be.

Lee1989

Hi i recently bought a young Russian tortoise about 2 months ago. Getting quite worried as he buries himself in his substrate and dosent wake up till at least dinner time. He then only stays out for a few hours then back to bed. He is eating well. Should I be waking him or leave him too it.

I use pro med tortoise substrate in his table and use aspen bedding, the basking temp is usually between 31-33 degrees and at the other end it's about 24 degrees, he is fed mainly dandelion including leaves and I grow my own weeds too. He has kale and other leaves with the odd flower every now and then.

Just wonder what I can do to make him more active or shouldn't I be worrying. Many thanks

Hello

My Russian tortoise is only active a few hours a day. What I do is I take him outside at least once a week and let him roam in the Backyard. Keep a close eye though so he doesn't get lost or get eaten by a bird or raccoon. For substrate the best one is coconut coir some brands are Eco earth or there is one made by exo terra. Every morning I have to wake him up cause mine is lazy and likes to sleep in. In the wild rts always burrow to sleep and be safe.

Lee1989

Thanks for the advice I just expected him to be up all day haha, I've started bathing him in lukewarm water every morning now

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
A warm welcome to the forum to both of you!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Please post pictures of your tortoises and their enclosures.

Do not worry/panic. Torts take quite long to adapt to a new place, new enclosure, new climate, new owner and the rest. They do not like change.

Lee1989

The enclosure is only temporary till he grows I am in the process of building a new one

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
SoCal California
Aspen isn't a moisture-friendly substrate. Try clean yard soil, coco coir, cypress mulch and the like, even as a temporary enclosure.

Lee1989

What's wrong with the enclosure? And I will get a different substrate for his bed. Which is the best?

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
SoCal California
If you change your substrate and raise the humidity (usually with a closed enclosure), your enclosure is okay for a smaller, younger Russian. Have you checked out the Russian care sheet on this forum. It's pretty detailed and offers a lot of suggestions.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Super cute! And don't worry, you just got a lazy one. ;) Mine does it too. The best substrate I've ever used (I've tried three different kinds) is coconut coir. My tort likes it really deep and cuddles down in it. It's not very expensive ($6-7) and all you have to do it soak the brick and it turns to dirt. :)