New Russian

Status
Not open for further replies.

qhgirl1

5 Year Member
Last Tuesday I got my first Russian tortoise. I got him from Petsmart and he looked health when I got him. I have not been able to get him to eat anything so far and he's been burrowed since Thursday. If I un-burry him he hisses at me and immediately burrows back in. I read somewhere that maybe his cage wasn't light enough inside so I added another light. I have 4-5 inches of coconut husk/sand as the substrate and a power sun 160 and a fluorescent uvb for additional light. Any suggestions? Should I be worried or do you think he just needs more adjustment time? Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) I think he needs more time. Be sure your soaking him a few times a week in warm water. You want to keep him hydrated. The Russians from Petco/petsmart are usually wild caught 4-5 year olds. I believe they need more adjustment time then hatchlings that were not taken from the wild. Keep offering food, make sure temps and humidity is correct and don't hover over him when you feed him.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!!

This question is asked frequently by new tortoise-keepers.

Tortoises are territorial. When you move him from a territory that he is used to and plunk him down someplace new, he's naturally afraid and wants to hide so the big bad boogey man can't get him. It takes a bit of time for them to realize that there is no harm going to come to him and this is a safe territory that he can claim as his own. Wellington has given you good advice.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Agree with above. How big is your enclosure? 160w might be too strong unless you have a larger enclosure.

Do you have an accurate way to measure the temps? Like a digital thermometer with a wire probe or an Infared thermometer (point and take temp). This is very important.
If the enclosure is too hot, your tortoise will burrow. If it is too cold, your tortoise will burrow.
Make sure you soak him every other day in shallow warm water for the first week, as they are often dehydrated in pet stores. Then 1-2x per week.
So make sure the conditions are right, then allow your tortoise to adjust.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome.

The information provided above is all good. These individuals have years of experience so you may rely on their suggestions; they have provided ideas in the best interest of your tort.

If you provide a picture of your enclosure and your tortoise the information can be more situation specific.

Make sure your tort has a shallow water dish; the base of a clay planter works best in my opinion.

If your weather allows some outdoor sunlight time would be good. Do not over heat your tort. Do not glance away from your Russian while outdoors they can vanish in an instant!

Can you return your 160 watt bulb for the 100 watt version? Unless you live in a very cold climate or have a huge enclosure the 160 will be too hot and just make your air conditioning work overtime.

What are your 4 temperatures. Do a search on Russian Temperatures here on the forum.

Good luck.

qhgirl1

5 Year Member
Thanks for your help everyone. I took him out this afternoon for a soak. Afterwards I took him outside to roam around for an hour or so. Then I put him back in his enclosure with some food and he ate! I'm so excited!

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
I think your bulb might be making it way too hot for a Russian. I use only the 100W PowerSun. Also, he/she will need some time to adjust. Mine was doing pretty good after 3 or 4 days, however he didn't become a real big eater until we had him about two weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.