New sad rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortyTom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Houston / Webster, TX
Today I went down to the river bottom to get some wild water plants to put into my turtle tank that I have been setting up for a while. Still trying to figure out what kind of turtle I want. Once I got there I noticed 3 young men in their very late teens or very early 20's with a pellet gun. They were shooting and laughing and just having a ball so I walked up to see what was going on and I was shocked to see that they had caught 3 adult turtles. Two red ears and one yellow belly. The two red ears had already been shot in their heads and killed. The yellow belly slider had been shot in the caprice, just penetrating the outer surface. I was so angry that I grabbed the gun from one of the guys and threw it in the water. I may end up getting into trouble over this cause all three jumped me. But I showed them who was boss real fast. I never hit them for not knowing their ages but I did put all three on their butts. I took the yellow bellied slider home to make sure he's gonna be OK and I will give him a few days to recuperate, then I will release him at the same spot. I just don't understand the evil and meanness in today's youth?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I totally understand your moment .....people in general can be very cruel...and it is no surprise that the young are taught by the older group of idiots....

I likely would have accidentally discharged a couple into one of their bottoms....

I am glad that you happened along when you did--at least the yellow has a chance....although I may release him into a less dangerous place....

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I doubt those guys are gonna make an issue of this. They were shooting reptiles! They'll have to admit that before making a complaint. Good for you. Be careful next time. They could have had a semi-automatic and shot you. This world is going to hell in a hand basket.

For Love of Everything Shell

5 Year Member
I am truly blown away by the stupidity of our society these days! Great job saving the one you could... I was raised to love and care for all living things... Now, it feels like morals are not "cool" anymore and youth destroy for attention! I once had a mini burial ceremony for a whole family of bunnies that were smooshed accidentally, while some people looked on with a look like I was crazy... Another friend felt my care and sadness for the unneeded destruction of such beauty and helped me burry them.

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
i hate being 16, growing up with the idiots that i do. im not gonna lie, i hunt and fish..but i DO NOT harm things if i dont plan on eating them, and when it comes to the killing it is done as quick as possible. i dont ever go after reptiles of any kind. i'll catch things by hand and admire them if i know its not gonna kill them (like a desert tortoise for example). this is just yet another example of kids who need to be smacked upside the head. with a bat. repeatedly. and then once more.

0.1.0 Russian
0.0.1 Leopard
1.0.0 Blue Pit/American Bulldog
Chive On!

For Love of Everything Shell

5 Year Member
I completely agree! For food is ok, although it would still be hard for me... Those that kill for the fun of destruction or watching a living thing freak out from pain!!! They need a taste of their own medicine!!!

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
we could give them to the mexican cartels..let them have some fun with them as they squirm. sounds good to me.

0.1.0 Russian
Chive On!

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Makes me sick!! I just dont understand what goes thru peoples minds sometimes! How do they get enjoyment out of doing that? It really upsets me.
Total evil!!!

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
thats just it, you said it..evil. thats all there is to it. that, and maybe a dash of psychological issues.

0.1.0 Russian
Chive On!

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
nate.mann said:
thats just it, you said it..evil. thats all there is to it. that, and maybe a dash of psychological issues.

0.1.0 Russian
Chive On!

That too!!! Probably more than a dash!

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
yeah, especially in this case. i mean, who could do that to an adorable and innocent little turtle?

0.1.0 Russian
Chive On!

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I have no idea! It just makes me so angry!!!!!!! I remember when I was in hi school and there were guys that did alful things like that!!
..to cats and puppies! I will never forget some of the horrible things they talked about! Pure evil!!

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
its everywhere, luckily its not like a huge thing that a ton of people like to do, theres just those few sick people every once in a while.

0.1.0 Russian
Chive On!

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Good for you, Thomas! How many more would they have tortured and killed?
The one you took in is lucky, regardless.

Irish

5 Year Member
Orlando Florida
I admire that you had restraint. I cannot respect a 3 vs 1 scenario, and think a very valuable lesson was dealt. But if they are dumb enough to shoot turtles, they are probably dumb enough to cause more trouble. You assuredly saved the yellow's life- much respect.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looks like I'm going to be in the minority here. If there is a limit law on hunting turtles in your state (in California, the limit on turtles is 0 ), then that's what you have to go by.

I don't like to see anyone being cruel to animals, but if it's not against the law to hunt turtles where you live, then the boys probably did nothing against the law.

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
Yvonne i was under the impression that it was illegal for them to take and kill any, which is why they were so upset. that, and because the yellow belly was only wounded and not dead.

0.1.0 Russian
Chive On!

ShellyTurtlesCats

5 Year Member
Mesa
Hunting and shooting/causing pain & laughing are entirely different things. Just because it's legal, it doesn't make it moral.

TortyTom

5 Year Member
Houston / Webster, TX
Let me clear things up a bit. I am a hunter myself. I'm 47 years old and I have killed my share of FOOD in my lifetime! But these punks were not hunting they were flat out killing for fun, laughing and jumping around like 7 year old's at a birthday party, kicking and poking. I just feel if you would do that to a defenseless animal and enjoy it, then you would grow to harm people. I used to know an old man that had a pond and the turtles took it over. He had to eliminate a few to control the population but he didn't jump around and take great enjoyment from it. I believe their sick and disturbing attitudes are what set me off the most! I have a 20 year old son that I taught to love and respect life of all kinds. He said if he would have been there he would have done the same thing as me.

Status
Not open for further replies.