New turtles!

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtlebrad

5 Year Member
Well i got jeffery(my yellow belly slider) some new friends! Ones a red belly cooter (cuda) the other is a female aligator turtle! Yet to name, they are getting along great and already eating! So excited.

image-1873813709.png

All three

image-1683360344.png

Just cuda

image-330755460.png

Jeffery

image-3069931656.png

And debbie

image-977718080.png

Not debbie, xena

adamlikesbananas

5 Year Member
Why are you keeping a snapping turtle in a tank with other turtles?????? It could seriously hurt your other turtles.

turtlebrad

5 Year Member
The snapping turtle was sold to me from a breader and she has been with many other turtles and held and around people very offten. She accualy the sweetest turtle i have.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Miami, Florida
Snapping turtles are friendly turtles, contrary to popular belief, but don't be surprised when your mix here doesn't work. By the way, that is chelydra serpentine (common snapping turtle), not Macrochelys temminckii (alligator snapping turtle). Macrochelys has a much more triangular head, ridged eye-brows, more ridges to the shell, etc.

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
RedfootsRule said:
Snapping turtles are friendly turtles, contrary to popular belief, but don't be surprised when your mix here doesn't work. By the way, that is chelydra serpentine (common snapping turtle), not Macrochelys temminckii (alligator snapping turtle). Macrochelys has a much more triangular head, ridged eye-brows, more ridges to the shell, etc.

Definitely not a gator.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Could also be serpentina osceala, but the distinguishment is almost impossible to make with a baby....

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
RedfootsRule said:
Could also be serpentina osceala, but the distinguishment is almost impossible to make with a baby....

and osceola is only recognized as a geographic variation at the current time. So, taxonomically speaking, it is definitely a common snapping turtle, Chelydra serpentina

turtlebrad

5 Year Member
I didnt know that a normal snapping turtle had a long tail and spikes on there shell.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
theTurtleRoom said:
RedfootsRule said:

and osceola is only recognized as a geographic variation at the current time. So, taxonomically speaking, it is definitely a common snapping turtle, Chelydra serpentina

We seem to always have different information. Anything I see recognizes the florida as a sub-species; although, I myself have a hard time believing it being that there isn't even as much difference between florida and common as there is between a cherry head and northern red foot....
Thats just what I've seen them called :).

turtlebrad said:
I didnt know that a normal snapping turtle had a long tail and spikes on there shell.

They most certainly do, as hatchlings. However, commons loose a lot of the spikes on there shell with age. Or at least they become less defined...

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
The Florida only stopped being recognized as a subspecies I think in 2010. So most literature, except the very newest, will show it.

As with anything in this field, there are varying opinions on how valid things are.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
This is a common snapping turtle that was hatched from eggs in my yard, and we released this Sept.
016-5.jpg

I love the look of your tank. Very natural looking.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Very cute collection of turtles.
I would not own a snapping turtle,personally, because they grow up and I would be afraid of it.
Very cute!!
:)

Nice basking rocks

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
turtlebrad said:
She accualy the sweetest turtle i have.

Not for long. Just a warning. Common Snapping Turtles love to eat tails in community situations. It will happen.

That looks like a what used to be a Florida Snapper, to me. The carapace coloration and markings on the head are consistent with hatchlings I've seen. Just a hunch though, as hatchlings can vary quite a bit it pigmentation and markings.

Definitely not Macrochelys though. I hope the breeder didn't lie to you.

turtlebrad

5 Year Member
Cuda (red belly cooter) is accualy the meanest, snipes at the others from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.