New substrate!

Reptilelove

Location (City and/or State)
Plymouth
I have just bought my hermanns this substrate to try next week when I start (and finish!) building a new tort table! Has anyone tried this stuff before? (I was on tort life and repti sand before) :)

Attachments

• 1407089431687.jpg
    1407089431687.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 1407089443818.jpg
    1407089443818.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 40

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
I personally wouldn't use that stuff. I think I've read somewhere that pelleted substrates can 1) mold; 2) not provide enough humidity; 3) cause walking issues. Not sure, but just sayin there are better options out there (coco coir, hardwood mulches, additive free top soil or soilless mixes). They might be "messier" but torts are kinda messy :D

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
you just got duped into buying rabbit pellets basically.

don't feel bad we've all been duped before tho

Reptilelove

Plymouth
I personally wouldn't use that stuff. I think I've read somewhere that pelleted substrates can 1) mold; 2) not provide enough humidity; 3) cause walking issues. Not sure, but just sayin there are better options out there (coco coir, hardwood mulches, additive free top soil or soilless mixes). They might be "messier" but torts are kinda messy :D
Well I'm going to try it for a week and then when I change them I will try something else like the soil :)

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Have you already opened the bag? If not, take it back.

Use coconut coir. I like it best with compost mixed in.

What kind if tortoise?

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Google it. It's available there. Much better than wood shavings. Holds moisture & doesn't rot or grow mold.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I like to use a mix of coco coir and plain top soil (no additives, the cheap stuff). I even put a few pill bugs in the substrate to aid in cleanup.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
No, pellets are not good. They are very drying, and can choke a tortoise if they swallow one to big. Try coco coir :)

Copper

Nothern Illinois
I have a Hermann baby tort and I agree with everyone coco coir is the way to go, just make sure you lightly mist it with water once a day to keep it moist it's pretty dry.

Reptilelove

Plymouth
Thankyou for all the great advice everyone! I regret not researching thoroughly enough as i had no idea about humidity, i am going to buy the coco coir asap :)