New Sulcata Owner in Orlando, FL

Donna/Turbo

Location (City and/or State)
Banner Elk, NC
Hey everyone, I am so excited to find this forum. I have not owned a tortoise before and always seem to be looking up answers to my questions on the internet. The only problem is that every website has totally different answers. It is so nice to be able to talk to real people that actually own tortoises! I named my Sulcata Turbo, and I think it is about a years old. Not sure if is a male or female. Talk more later.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). You found the best place to be to talk tortoise and to learn tortoise. You can start the learning by reading Toms threads below in my post for raising your sulcata.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. wellington are correct 100%. This is the best place to learn and share.

Please do spend sometime to carefully read through the care sheet in the Sulcata section of the forum. All those information are very useful. I practice everything I learn from those thread/posts. It help me greatly.

Care to show is some photo of your cutie?? Welcome.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Donna welcome to the TFO fromAZ . I hear it's been cccold in Fld . Did you get a fur coat for your tort . Have a great tort day !

Donna/Turbo

Banner Elk, NC
welcome to the forum! can you post some enclosure pictures?
That is what I need the most help with. Right now he is in a very large box that our barbecue grill came in. I have a piece of reptile screen over it with a UVB and a ceramic heat lamp. But there is nothing I can do to keep the humidity up. I want to transfer him out to the back porch that is covered. Will the Florida humidity be enough? I saw that someone used an upside down plastic container that had a wet sponge glued to the inside top. That seems like a good idea. Any help with humidity would be helpful. I do let him walk around in some warm water once a week. He eats everything I put in front of him (except hay). I think he is about a year old.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
M-m-m-m-m cardboard = not a good thing! It will get soggy, limp and moldy. You need to keep that moss damp.

Donna/Turbo

Banner Elk, NC
I know I can't use it for long, but I have not found the perfect layout for him yet. Trying to find out if I should leave him out on the covered screened back porch permanently, or if I should keep him in the house until he is older. I am worried about the low humidity in the box. I just made him a humidity box today. If the humidity box works and he likes it then I think I will build something for the indoors. Would love anyones thoughts on this. I want the best for him. Will be be happier outside or where he is, which in in front of a huge picture window. Maybe I am just overthinking all of this.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Nice looking sully, I would make a indoor enclosure for one that size. Definitely build something for outdoors in the future. Even with the great Florida weather I still would keep the little one in an indoor closed chamber enclosure for at least a year and just get him outside a few hours a day.