new sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
Hello everyone! I am a first time tort owner; I adopted a 1 yr old sulcata from an owner who couldn't keep him anymore. He looks great, but he likes to stay under his half log hiding spot, only coming out once and a while to bask and eat. Also he's definitely not the "eating machine" I read that sulcatas can be. I think he's just adjusting to his new diet and I don't think the old owner put vitamins or calcium on his food. My main question is...why is he always hiding. PS- his name is Franklin! Thanks:)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
A couple of major reasons jump out at me as possible reasons for his hiding.
First he is just a little guy still and the world is full of dangers just waiting to jump out, grab him, and eat him (atleast in his survival mentality). Imagine if you were as small as he is and some huge monster the size you are, is always hoovering nearby. *eek!* Next he is under the stress of having been taken from one home to another. Those two would be my major thoughts. Then again, how do you have him set up? If he is too cold or too hot, he will hide too. His shells are nice and firm correct? No outward signs of being sick or weak?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Right on Mrs. Jacqui.

Also remember when we all talk about the "typical" sulcata, they are all individuals. Most of the time females are more "shy" than males. Most of the time babies are more timid or careful than adults. With in a single clutch, I see many different personalities. I have had my share of shy ones and I've even had a few whose appetites seem to be lower than the "norm". Many times that will change as they grow too. My Daisy was not a big eater in her first three years, but her appetite has really picked up in her fourth year.

All you can do is give them the best environment possible and then sit back and enjoy them for who they are. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Linzbragg:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

It may just be you need to give him some time to get used to his new surroundings.

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
He's probably stressed, he'll come out of hiding once he gets used to his new home

Post some pics of your new tort

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Welcome to the Forum Linzbragg!

for the VERY best advice on habitats and health... post PICS! youd be surprized by what we call tell on pics alone!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum, I agree with what was said above...

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
I would love to post pics but I'm not too good on computers and can't figure out how to do it. My name is Lindsey and I live in northern VA. This morning Franklin has been out walking and eating (I give him a mix of red and green baby romaine and grassland tort food with his vitamins and calcium mixed in) for about 4 hrs now. I also spray him with some reptile spray I found that's supposed to help with his vitamin intake and moisture. Currently he's basking on a slope in his cage. Until.I can put up pics, i'll describe his set up, here goes...it's a 4' long rabbit cage (with a plastic bottom and caged top), a UVB light, a basking lamp where the temp underneath is 90ish (both are in ceramic fixtures), a ramped pool of water, a flat bowl of the above mentioned food, and a substrate made up of a mixture of coconut husks and timothy hay. There is also a long half log my fiance made with a bunch if hay underneath for his to burrow under and some stacking rock mounds for him to climb over (they're not steep so he won't flip over). I do think he is adjusting nicely though. The owner before just had him in that cage with just the hay, the rocks and the lights on top, no hiding spot. I also don't think he got a lot of attention before bc she was a college student, that's why she had to get rid of him. Luckily I'm now his proud owner, and I fully intend to do everything I can so he can life out his long life healthy and entertained. I have spent a lot of my time, sacrificing other obligations, to make sure of this. When my fiance returns home from his work out of town he plans on building Franklin a tort table bc when he is moving around, he's fast and roams a lot! Thanks everyone for your advice, so how do I post pics so I can show everyone Franklin and his new home?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Lindsey:

Its quite easy to post pictures if you use a free photo download. I like photobucket.com but others like and use tinypic.com. Once you've opened your account, you just follow their directions for getting your pictures onto their site. Once that's done, then you copy/paste the code onto your post here. Piece of cake!!

I like to use orchid bark or cypress mulch for substrate. Hay doesn't do anything for me.

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
I've tried tinypic but I'm not able to copy and paste the given link on my tablet. Guess I'll have to try it on my laptop. Usually when I'm on here I'm using my phone or tab

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
What a cute guy. I'm sure he's just really shy and stressed. I do hope he doesn't have any sickness. Make sure he stays humid and hydrated :)

Status
Not open for further replies.