New to all this

Joan hollings

Location (City and/or State)
Wigan uk
I have rescued a tortoise, please could anyone tell me what kind it is, and approx age, many thanks

947BCDD6-FD65-4756-9C0A-A29C4E50E634.pngAA6193F4-DD3F-4BA7-B3D6-82D255D58311.png

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
Looks like a Russian. I can't tell the age. How big is he?

Joan hollings

Wigan uk
i have bought him an 8 ft outside pen for daytime and he shocked me today by climbing up the wire netting, I was Mortified thinking if he fell he would kill himself, will have to sort that ASAP,

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
most definitely a Russian then. they are known escape artists. If you post pictures of the pen, people can make suggestions on how to make it work best for him

Joan hollings

Wigan uk
I don’t know his background at all I rescued him, so all this is new to me but I want to do my best for him

Reactions: Ink

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
It looks like he will be in good hands that pen is a great start but i see a few things that could be changed

a wood board around the bottom that is taller than he can reach up should help/stop him from climbing up

if you plan on leaving the pen in that spot, you might want to consider putting some substrate in there, ie: cypress mulch or orchid bark

Joan hollings

Wigan uk
I bring him indoors each night and he has an indoor pen with a house where he sleeps and that has mulch in for him , he is very settled in that

Joan hollings

Wigan uk
Thank you , he likes dark leaf salad leaves,cucumber and dandelions, I’ve weighed him and he is 438 grams, he seems active but as I am new to this it is trial and error....I try and introduce new food as per guidelines but he doesn’t seem interested, I appreciate all these useful replies

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
Thank you , he likes dark leaf salad leaves,cucumber and dandelions, I’ve weighed him and he is 438 grams, he seems active but as I am new to this it is trial and error....I try and introduce new food as per guidelines but he doesn’t seem interested, I appreciate all these useful replies
Feed mainly weeds.