MrK_WMS

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
I'd like to build an outdoor enclosure for my redfoot to give him some extra space and time outside. I live in Indiana so a pretty temperate climate. During the summers it can be hot and humid with a few days in the low 100s here and there, but usually highs between 80-90. The lows are usually mid 60's. The area available to build it is in direct sunlight pretty much all day so I'm a little worried it might get too hot for him. And also wondering about rain or storms and what people with outdoor enclosure typically do in that situation. Or should I just keep him in his nice climate controlled indoor enclosure?

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Your tortoise probably might not be able to be outside every day, not even in the summer. So when you build an outdoor enclosure, it is important to also keep an indoor enclosure set up and ready in case of bad weather. As for temperatures, this thread is great for research: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/understanding-outdoor-and-ground-temperatures.195062/

Redfoots are a fores species, so it is important that you provide different shade levels so your tortoise can escape the heat. This thread gives you a good idea of providing shade: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-importance-of-deep-shade.123288/

Have you had flooding from the storms? In this case, there are plenty that can be done to drain/direct the water out of the enclosure. In the meanwhile, that indoor enclosure is going to be important?

What are your night temps? Do you plan on keeping the tortoise out at night? If so, a heated shelter would be necessary to provide protection from the elements and possible predators.

I also call for @Alex and the Redfoot since he knows more about Redfoots.

MrK_WMS

Indiana
Your tortoise probably might not be able to be outside every day, not even in the summer. So when you build an outdoor enclosure, it is important to also keep an indoor enclosure set up and ready in case of bad weather. As for temperatures, this thread is great for research: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/understanding-outdoor-and-ground-temperatures.195062/

Redfoots are a fores species, so it is important that you provide different shade levels so your tortoise can escape the heat. This thread gives you a good idea of providing shade: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-importance-of-deep-shade.123288/

Have you had flooding from the storms? In this case, there are plenty that can be done to drain/direct the water out of the enclosure. In the meanwhile, that indoor enclosure is going to be important?

What are your night temps? Do you plan on keeping the tortoise out at night? If so, a heated shelter would be necessary to provide protection from the elements and possible predators.

Night lows are typically in the 60's. Thanks for the links!

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You can keep him outside during the summer months, you just need a night box or shed that can be heated if the nights get too cold. Lock him in every night for his safety.
All sun is a bigger problem. You need to plant bushes to give shade and maybe a tarp to give deep shade with shade loving plants for comfort feeling to the tort. Run sprinkler or misters to help with getting humidity up. High humidity is needed for RF adults too.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Every tortoise can be outside during summer and should be. The conditions just need to be added for each specific species. Sprinklers and misters will aid in the humidity. Bushes, trees, tarps, etc will aid in shade.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Rainstorms are something LOVED by Redfoot. Only flooding is an issue.
Make sure that any outdoors enclosure has a lot of shade provided by plants and a large, shallow pool that is not in direct sunlight.
Redfoot will look for shade and a pool to cool off. And direct sunlight on any day over about 90° will result in the tortoise disappearing.
There are many days here in south Florida that I don't see any tortoises. Just food missing.
The water sprinkler idea is a great one. It'll cool the area and give off humidity later.
You'll also be wise to have an additional inside enclosure for those too hot or too cold days.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Every tortoise can be outside during summer and should be. The conditions just need to be added for each specific species. Sprinklers and misters will aid in the humidity. Bushes, trees, tarps, etc will aid in shade.
I like the idea of an enclosure built around a large tree.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Yes, this was the point I was trying to gt through. I strongly suggest getting an outdoor enclosure when possible, but as everyone on this thread is pointing out there are things to consider. But all this doesn't exit out the need for a separate indoor enclosure in case of sickness or flooding or some other cause the tortoise needs to be taken inside :)