New to everything

Kris0322

Hey everyone. I'm very new to this Russian tortoise life. We've taken over care for one that is possibly between 7-15 years old. We've been told and I feel like I'm doing everything wrong. The first few days he just hid under his mulch so we bought lights one for heating and then a uvb. He now has changed and very alive but seems to be living under the heating lamp and I'm concerned. He's finally eating and acting normal "ish" but I'm still thinking he hates us. I'm also looking god suggestions for a better habitat for him as keeping this big box thing on my kitchen counter is so not ideal and we have no windows in the how that get direct day sun. Looking for all the best and easy advice I can get as I'm still learning what everything is. The previous owners apparently held him a lot but I've also read, don't hold them a lot. And I've not seen him drink any water yet! This can't be normal or is it? Again, any advice is very appreciated. Sorry for the long first post.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Coast, CA
Someone smarter will be along to help you with his lights and enclosure but I can say that it is normal for him to hide at first, to "hate" you, and not to be obviously drinking.

And no, don't hold him!

Welcome to the forum; you're in the right place!

M

Maggie Cummings

Yes hold them. It socializes them and makes a Vet exam easier if they don't fight. I have a tortoise who has a bad upper respiratory infection. I use a syringe to suck the mucous out of his nares He holds absolutely still until I'm done. I had a 125 lb Sulcata and he also held still for head exam. So I really disagree with the 'holding them causes stress'. If you're not going to hold him, and bond with him and play with him, what's the point of having him? Just my personal opinion, it's how I keep the animals I end up with. I'm holding a yearling Sulcata while I'm typing. He was sleeping on my lap, but now he's trying to climb up to my face.....cute. It's my experience, I'm taking care of about 20 now, and all of them get personal attention, it makes them easier to adopt also. People want a friendly animal, not one who hides in his shell and pees on ya. So I seriously mess with the ones that are for adoption. I have a 2 yr old Sulcata who follows me around like a dog. I walked him up the block yesterday. He followed me like a trained dog. I think messing with them and socializing them is good for them. Just my opinion and experience.....

Kris0322

Yes hold them. It socializes them and makes a Vet exam easier if they don't fight. I have a tortoise who has a bad upper respiratory infection. I use a syringe to suck the mucous out of his nares He holds absolutely still until I'm done. I had a 125 lb Sulcata and he also held still for head exam. So I really disagree with the 'holding them causes stress'. If you're not going to hold him, and bond with him and play with him, what's the point of having him? Just my personal opinion, it's how I keep the animals I end up with. I'm holding a yearling Sulcata while I'm typing. He was sleeping on my lap, but now he's trying to climb up to my face.....cute. It's my experience, I'm taking care of about 20 now, and all of them get personal attention, it makes them easier to adopt also. People want a friendly animal, not one who hides in his shell and pees on ya. So I seriously mess with the ones that are for adoption. I have a 2 yr old Sulcata who follows me around like a dog. I walked him up the block yesterday. He followed me like a trained dog. I think messing with them and socializing them is good for them. Just my opinion and experience.....
That's actually hilarious how they follow you. It's a new thing for all of us. I let him out then he ends up peeing or pooping on the tile so I'm not sure if that's just that's what they do or well, you can't train them. I'm just frustrated

Kris0322

Thank you for reaching out. His previous owners always held him and he was good with them. Idk.

Kris0322

Someone smarter will be along to help you with his lights and enclosure but I can say that it is normal for him to hide at first, to "hate" you, and not to be obviously drinking.

And no, don't hold him!

Welcome to the forum; you're in the right place!
He's finally eating so that was a relief it's just now the drinking thing and he won't leave the heat lamp

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kris, and welcome to the Forum!

I'm going to get on my soapbox. Tortoises are wild animals. This means they haven't undergone years and years of human intervention to make them be domesticated animals. Wild animals belong outside. Is it at all possible to set this tortoise up outside in a safe and secure habitat?

Having a tortoise enclosure outside can be very calming. First of all you fence it all around with a safe and secure fence, then you get busy on the inside and rake and plant and just decorate to your heart's content. Then when you have it all set up the way you like it, you can sit back and enjoy watching your tortoise explore his new home. And this will be a much nicer place for a tortoise to live - and not in some four-walled box type affair on the counter.

Of course, this is not always possible. I realize that. So if you absolutely have to have him indoors, you need to give him the biggest enclosure you can. We usually recommend 4'x8' for a russian tortoise. This is rather large for in the house, but you have to think about the tortoise, not your room/house. Some people have bought a used book case, removed the shelves, lay it on its back, line it and decorate. Instant habitat!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome.
You have found a great place for lots of up to date information from lots of very experienced keepers.
There is a caresheet for Russians under species specific which will tell you all about diet, temps, humidity and substrate etc.
The Beginners Mistakes thread (link below) will help you avoid problems experienced by others and the Enclosures thread has lots of good ideas.
Another good website to help with diet and tort safe plants for enclosures is www.thetortoisetable.org.uk

Kris0322

I'm going to get on my soapbox. Tortoises are wild animals. This means they haven't undergone years and years of human intervention to make them be domesticated animals. Wild animals belong outside. Is it at all possible to set this tortoise up outside in a safe and secure habitat?

Having a tortoise enclosure outside can be very calming. First of all you fence it all around with a safe and secure fence, then you get busy on the inside and rake and plant and just decorate to your heart's content. Then when you have it all set up the way you like it, you can sit back and enjoy watching your tortoise explore his new home. And this will be a much nicer place for a tortoise to live - and not in some four-walled box type affair on the counter.

Of course, this is not always possible. I realize that. So if you absolutely have to have him indoors, you need to give him the biggest enclosure you can. We usually recommend 4'x8' for a russian tortoise. This is rather large for in the house, but you have to think about the tortoise, not your room/house. Some people have bought a used book case, removed the shelves, lay it on its back, line it and decorate. Instant habitat!
It is indeed a bookcase. We cannot put him outside. We have a lake we live on and Canadian Geese and owls.

Kris0322

Do you know anything about the lamps! He's mainly stayed under the basking lamp and not at all the ubv lamp and I'm concerned he's not getting his "sun"

M

Maggie Cummings

But being as we are domesticating them now that must mean there's a group of us that are making them NOT wild animals. Just because that's what you believe, doesn't mean we all believe that. Just think about what I might have missed with Bob if I hadn't messed with him.....and all of my chelonia have an outside pen where they spend their day, but I have too many predators, my animals have to be locked in at night.
Sam follows me the whole time I'm outside......

Kris0322

But being as we are domesticating them now that must mean there's a group of us that are making them NOT wild animals. Just because that's what you believe, doesn't mean we all believe that. Just think about what I might have missed with Bob if I hadn't messed with him.....and all of my chelonia have an outside pen where they spend their day, but I have too many predators, my animals have to be locked in at night.
Sam follows me the whole time I'm outside......
Thank you for that. For a second I thought I was really doing it wrong and shouldn't have him as a pet. Our friends could not care for him anymore and thought we would be a perfect fit and now here I am trying so hard to understand these things and already feeling bad.

eric joranson

Cape Cod ;MA / Co.Bluffs; Iowa
Thank you for that. For a second I thought I was really doing it wrong and shouldn't have him as a pet. Our friends could not care for him anymore and thought we would be a perfect fit and now here I am trying so hard to understand these things and already feeling bad.
Do not feel bad; we were all novices at the start. Continue to follow advise from members here; and the only bad questions are the ones you never ask.....the rewards are worth it. And before you know it; you will be giving advise to other beginners. Best of luck

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Yes hold them. It socializes them and makes a Vet exam easier if they don't fight. I have a tortoise who has a bad upper respiratory infection. I use a syringe to suck the mucous out of his nares He holds absolutely still until I'm done. I had a 125 lb Sulcata and he also held still for head exam. So I really disagree with the 'holding them causes stress'. If you're not going to hold him, and bond with him and play with him, what's the point of having him?

Do you hold Russians, Maggie? A 125-pound Sulcata is my size; my two-pound Russian is not! :eek: She's got a good personality and she knows me but she's not domesticated. To her, I'm a predator. Knowing that has helped me understand her behavior far better than I did when she dropped into our lives.

Don't feel bad Kris, there is a lot to learn. As you see, even folks here don't always agree. :) I'm glad you are here and willing to learn how to best care for your tortoise, it does get easier.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Kris and welcome to the forum.

We all see things al little differently and we'll all give you different perspectives. I appreciate and like both Maggie's and Yvonne's approach, and you don't have to go all one way or the other.

I would go hands off for a couple of months to let your new guy settle in and get used to the routine. You and the tortoise will learn each other's "normal" habits during this time. Once he's eating, drinking and all is good, then you could start handling him more and watch out for signs of trouble like hiding more often or loss of appetite. If you see a problem, then back off on the handling. If appetite and activity level stays good, then proceed and handle as much as you want. Some russians are very shy and don't want to be messed with. Others are bold and outgoing and love the interaction and stimulation. In time, you'll figure out where on that spectrum your tortoise falls.

The key element indoors is that your tortoise needs the sun. Tortoises are solar powered. When indoors we must provide and artificial sun and attempt to duplicate its effects. Your tortoise needs warmth for basking, and it needs UV so it can process and use the calcium in the food. Its all explained here:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
More tips here:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

All of us live in areas where there are predators and wildlife. I'm surrounded by hawks, coyotes, ravens, bobcats, Mt. lions, stinging ants, rattle snakes, raccoons, foxes, ground squirrels, etc… Its very easy to make a safe outdoor enclosure and the benefits to your tortoise are immeasurable. You can use the outdoor enclosure during fair weather and the indoor one at night and during colder weather.

Here are some cheap and simple ideas for safe outdoor enclosures:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/cheap-easy-simple-sunning-enclosure.14680/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/simple-sunning-enclosure.104351/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...table-but-safe-outdoor-baby-enclosures.30683/

M

Maggie Cummings

Tom, thanks for what you said. What works for me, obviously does not work for Y. I learned almost everything I know from her, but I changed things around to fit MY life. I still call her with care questions.
Now anytime you want to come up here and make my pens predator proof, you'd be welcome.. Remember to get them in and out, I have to carry them from the yard and house and that's when I end up falling. I'm hauling about 20 chelonia in and out daily. There are 3 Sulcata in Bob's shed and I leave the doggie door open and they go in and out. I swear Bob left his bad ju ju in that shed. There's a 2 yr old "Sam" who has all of Bob's bad habits. But his carapace is 99% perfect, now if I can just fix that aggressive personality, oh, did I mention he bites, and rams me? lol
I have a yearly Sulcata sleeping on my shoulder right now. The problem with that is she pees in her sleep........

M

Maggie Cummings

Do you hold Russians, Maggie? A 125-pound Sulcata is my size; my two-pound Russian is not! :eek: She's got a good personality and she knows me but she's not domesticated. To her, I'm a predator. Knowing that has helped me understand her behavior far better than I did when she dropped into our lives.

Don't feel bad Kris, there is a lot to learn. As you see, even folks here don't always agree. :) I'm glad you are here and willing to learn how to best care for your tortoise, it does get easier.

Some Russians don't care to be held etc. I try to get them used to a head rub just in case they have to go to a Vet.

Kris0322

Thank you! I appreciate it and still as confused today as I was yesterday

Kris0322

Hi Kris and welcome to the forum.

We all see things al little differently and we'll all give you different perspectives. I appreciate and like both Maggie's and Yvonne's approach, and you don't have to go all one way or the other.

I would go hands off for a couple of months to let your new guy settle in and get used to the routine. You and the tortoise will learn each other's "normal" habits during this time. Once he's eating, drinking and all is good, then you could start handling him more and watch out for signs of trouble like hiding more often or loss of appetite. If you see a problem, then back off on the handling. If appetite and activity level stays good, then proceed and handle as much as you want. Some russians are very shy and don't want to be messed with. Others are bold and outgoing and love the interaction and stimulation. In time, you'll figure out where on that spectrum your tortoise falls.

The key element indoors is that your tortoise needs the sun. Tortoises are solar powered. When indoors we must provide and artificial sun and attempt to duplicate its effects. Your tortoise needs warmth for basking, and it needs UV so it can process and use the calcium in the food. Its all explained here:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
More tips here:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

All of us live in areas where there are predators and wildlife. I'm surrounded by hawks, coyotes, ravens, bobcats, Mt. lions, stinging ants, rattle snakes, raccoons, foxes, ground squirrels, etc… Its very easy to make a safe outdoor enclosure and the benefits to your tortoise are immeasurable. You can use the outdoor enclosure during fair weather and the indoor one at night and during colder weather.

Here are some cheap and simple ideas for safe outdoor enclosures:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/cheap-easy-simple-sunning-enclosure.14680/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/simple-sunning-enclosure.104351/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...table-but-safe-outdoor-baby-enclosures.30683/
Thank you so much for that. I will look at those links. We've had his lights on most all day but he sticks under the heat lamp almost all day. Never does he go to the uvb light so that's my main concern now