New to everything

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Thank you so much for that. I will look at those links. We've had his lights on most all day but he sticks under the heat lamp almost all day. Never does he go to the uvb light so that's my main concern now
What type of UV bulb is it? The pet stores typically sell the screw in cfl type coil fluorescents. Those can burn their eyes and they will usually avoid them and hide a lot, or stay away from them.

What is the temperature directly under the basking lamp? If they stay under them excessively, it might not be warm enough.

M

Maggie Cummings

Tom beat me to it, I was going to ask the same questions. Are you using a coil bulb?
My sister and I are a good example of how you should take what information fits you and your tort and leave the rest. She has years and years of experience, me, not so much. But I live in the PNW and she lives under the sun. My torts must live thru winter, we have ice and snow so they are stuck inside. We have 7 months of rain, ice or snow, hers are outside 24/7. But the basic care is the same. Humidity, temps, substrate, a hide, and (tee hee), lots of holding....lol
WEll, my race is getting good, the 18 car is leading, Austin Dillon just wrecked, gotta go......

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Thank you! I appreciate it and still as confused today as I was yesterday

Give it a couple of weeks. :)

I hope I did not sound as if they are no fun. Russians have great personalities when they get used to things. Ours is not shy; she will eat from anyone's hand and keeps our cats on their toes. If I am outside, she will occasionally climb up on me and take a nap. She gives us lots of enjoyment, just not hugs. ;)

Kris0322

What type of UV bulb is it? The pet stores typically sell the screw in cfl type coil fluorescents. Those can burn their eyes and they will usually avoid them and hide a lot, or stay away from them.

What is the temperature directly under the basking lamp? If they stay under them excessively, it might not be warm enough.

The temp is about 80 but I haven't set up the thermometers yet. That was just by holding it because clearly I'm confused with those too. They say do and don't put it by the heat so I'm like what do I do? Then the humidity one too I'm like why do I need this? Am I supposed to keep his mulch damp cause at first the guy told me they need to be dry and wet! ‍♀️

Attachments

• IMG_1309.JPG
    IMG_1309.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 14

Kris0322

Give it a couple of weeks. :)

I hope I did not sound as if they are no fun. Russians have great personalities when they get used to things. Ours is not shy; she will eat from anyone's hand and keeps our cats on their toes. If I am outside, she will occasionally climb up on me and take a nap. She gives us lots of enjoyment, just not hugs. ;)
Not at all. I really appreciate what everyone has to say. Many different options.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The temp is about 80 but I haven't set up the thermometers yet. That was just by holding it because clearly I'm confused with those too. They say do and don't put it by the heat so I'm like what do I do? Then the humidity one too I'm like why do I need this? Am I supposed to keep his mulch damp cause at first the guy told me they need to be dry and wet! ‍♀️

80 is too cool. They need a basking spot around 100. That is why he's staying under it all day.

That coil bulb might be hurting his eyes. I wouldn't use it. They aren't effective UV sources anyway.

Spot bulbs like that one tend to increase pyramiding. Spot bulbs shouldn't be used. They concentrate too much heat on one small area. You need a flood bulb.

I know this is a lot to digest, but like most people, you went to the pet store and got the typical pet store bad advice and products. All of this is explained in those threads on the first page of this thread. Here it is again for convenience:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Please read those and then come back with all your questions.

M

Maggie Cummings

Please be patient with us. The reality of it is we want your tortoise to live. Period. And the only way he's going to live a good life is if YOU are educated. Tom is one of our resident "experts". My sister is another one. She operates Clovis Turtle and Tortoise rescue. She lives in Clovis. You should use her knowledge, she's had torts for 40 years or so by now. I don't keep Russians anymore, but you need 95 to 100 degrees under a UVB flood light. I use Powersun. Get them on Amazon btw $40 to $50 . I think we have a vendor in Las Vegas that might carry them a little cheaper. Look in the index under Vendors.....The torts insides must be 85 or better or they can't digest their food so they stop eating. Once you have him set up correctly he'll be easy to care for. It's just a damn hassle setting one up when you really aren't sure how. Continue to ask questions, we want to help you.....

Kris0322

80 is too cool. They need a basking spot around 100. That is why he's staying under it all day.

That coil bulb might be hurting his eyes. I wouldn't use it. They aren't effective UV sources anyway.

Spot bulbs like that one tend to increase pyramiding. Spot bulbs shouldn't be used. They concentrate too much heat on one small area. You need a flood bulb.

I know this is a lot to digest, but like most people, you went to the pet store and got the typical pet store bad advice and products. All of this is explained in those threads on the first page of this thread. Here it is again for convenience:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Please read those and then come back with all your questions.
Awesome! Thank you!

Kris0322

Please be patient with us. The reality of it is we want your tortoise to live. Period. And the only way he's going to live a good life is if YOU are educated. Tom is one of our resident "experts". My sister is another one. She operates Clovis Turtle and Tortoise rescue. She lives in Clovis. You should use her knowledge, she's had torts for 40 years or so by now. I don't keep Russians anymore, but you need 95 to 100 degrees under a UVB flood light. I use Powersun. Get them on Amazon btw $40 to $50 . I think we have a vendor in Las Vegas that might carry them a little cheaper. Look in the index under Vendors.....The torts insides must be 85 or better or they can't digest their food so they stop eating. Once you have him set up correctly he'll be easy to care for. It's just a damn hassle setting one up when you really aren't sure how. Continue to ask questions, we want to help you.....
And I appreciate it. I have a friend who lives in Clovis btw ‍♀️

M

Maggie Cummings

Thank you so much for that. I will look at those links. We've had his lights on most all day but he sticks under the heat lamp almost all day. Never does he go to the uvb light so that's my main concern now

What kind of UVB bulb are you using?

M

Maggie Cummings

Do you hold Russians, Maggie? A 125-pound Sulcata is my size; my two-pound Russian is not! :eek: She's got a good personality and she knows me but she's not domesticated. To her, I'm a predator. Knowing that has helped me understand her behavior far better than I did when she dropped into our lives.

Don't feel bad Kris, there is a lot to learn. As you see, even folks here don't always agree. :) I'm glad you are here and willing to learn how to best care for your tortoise, it does get easier.

We're sisters, we disagree on most stuff.......but I still do what she taught me about turtles and tortoises......she knows her stuff......

Kris0322

What kind of UVB bulb are you using?

These are the 2. He's not sitting directly under the basking lamp anymore and finally eating a bit more but should I be concerned he's not sitting under the uvb lamp?

Attachments

• IMG_1309.JPG
    IMG_1309.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
M

Maggie Cummings

These are the 2. He's not sitting directly under the basking lamp anymore and finally eating a bit more but should I be concerned he's not sitting under the uvb lamp?

Is that reptisun a coil or spiral bulb? They (if it is) very bad for tortoises. I had a yearling Sulcata blinded by one and we've seen so much damage from people posting. Please throw it out. He's not under it cuz they're dangerous.

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
You mean there are Sulcata in Alaska and they never put any on the show????:p

There are too many Alaska shows lol I'm not 100% sure but Spur could be the only Sulcata here..I haven't met any others yet, there could be though!

Kris0322

Is that reptisun a coil or spiral bulb? They (if it is) very bad for tortoises. I had a yearling Sulcata blinded by one and we've seen so much damage from people posting. Please throw it out. He's not under it cuz they're dangerous.
Wth! I will have to check in the morning