New to forum and to tortoises!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildchild6771

5 Year Member
Hello everyone!

I'm from California and I work/own a nursery (garden center). We were just given a 14 year old desert tortoise by a woman who can no longer care for him. I fell in love at first sight. It's been about a week now and I have researched everything I've been able to do in order to give Ringo (that's his name!) the best care.

I especially have been studying up on plants he can and can't eat. I've been lucky enough to have quite a bit of plant material for him to munch on, but not a lot in natives. I know this is better for him so hopefully I'll be able to acquire some.

We built an enclosure for him, but I'm worried it may be too small for him. I'll post pictures when it's completed and ask for opinions.

I'm glad this forum exists, because I'm new to all of this and I have to say it's very exciting having a tortoise. Glad to be a part of the tortoise community!

I've attached some photos of Ringo, and don't worry the cat does not bother him one bit. Just a little curiosity there!

photo.jpg

562098_10150772018512007_79460472006_9904120_1975648610_n.jpg

-Violet

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Violet (a great name for the owner of a plant nursery!):

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Desert tortoises (Gopherus agassizii) are one of my favorite species of tortoise...and Ringo is absolutely beautiful!!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I agree...he is beautiful :D. Welcome to the Forum :D

Does he speed up and charge the cat? One of my guys here...willing do a full lift and go super sonic :)D) and charge at the neighbors stray cats....it is funny but I always relocate him before he ever makes contact....lol

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
How wonderful that you've taken him in, and are learning about proper care. He's very handsome, welcome!

wildchild6771

5 Year Member
Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!

emysemys, I see you're from Clovis. I'm from Visalia :)

Hope2hope

5 Year Member
wildchild6771 said:
Hello everyone!

I'm from California and I work/own a nursery (garden center). We were just given a 14 year old desert tortoise by a woman who can no longer care for him. I fell in love at first sight. It's been about a week now and I have researched everything I've been able to do in order to give Ringo (that's his name!) the best care.

I especially have been studying up on plants he can and can't eat. I've been lucky enough to have quite a bit of plant material for him to munch on, but not a lot in natives. I know this is better for him so hopefully I'll be able to acquire some.

We built an enclosure for him, but I'm worried it may be too small for him. I'll post pictures when it's completed and ask for opinions.

I'm glad this forum exists, because I'm new to all of this and I have to say it's very exciting having a tortoise. Glad to be a part of the tortoise community!

I've attached some photos of Ringo, and don't worry the cat does not bother him one bit. Just a little curiosity there!

-Violet

Hi Violet,
I am too getting a tortoise in a few weeks! I have done loads of research on how to care for them. The cage should be fairly big for your tortoise and in warm and sunny days you should put hi
In a bug enclosure outside!
Hope this helps
Hope:)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.
I'm looking for ward to YOUR contribution here. We can all use some help with plant growing and weed/plant ID help.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
wildchild6771 said:
Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!

emysemys, I see you're from Clovis. I'm from Visalia :)

Ah! Another Central Valley-ite! If you ever get up my way give me a call. I'd love to give you "the tour!" (298 7114)

Hope2hope said:
Hi Violet,
I am too getting a tortoise in a few weeks! I have done loads of research on how to care for them. The cage should be fairly big for your tortoise and in warm and sunny days you should put hi
In a bug enclosure outside!
Hope this helps
Hope:)

I'm pretty sure Violet has built an outdoor enclosure for her new tortoise.

Status
Not open for further replies.