New to forum; questions

momvetkat

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello everyone. I am the proud keeper of Mr. T who was found walking down the middle of the road. He is a Russian tortoise and I have had him 2 years. Although I have kept snakes, chameleons and bearded dragons, I ended up with no reptiles because I feel they need to be in their more "native" habitat. Mr. T seems to have adapted well to his large enclosure and has hibernated twice. I tried growing his weeds in the enclosure but it doesn't seem to take so I have grown flats and feed them when tall enough. I recently planted a garden with lots of greens, mainly for him :) The bugs are mowing them down and I don't know what I can use that is safe for him. I have insecticidal soap, a similar product with Neem...not sure what is safe to feed. He chowed down on radish, beet and turnip greens yesterday (I rinsed them and have only used the soap). I know beet greens have oxalates but I just gave him a little. Any constructive comments are welcome!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi momvetkat you have come to a great place for advice, I am even more of a new keeper than you as only had my tort since last July, so can't offer any good advice but I'm sure the experts will be along soon and I will be very interested to see what they say - always learning new things on here.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Lots of folks here us diatomaceous earth. It has never worked for me. I pulled these few ideas off the 'net for you:

Seaweed mulch or spray. Seaweed contains trace elements such as iron, zinc, barium, calcium, sulfur and magnesium, which promote healthy development in plants. Seaweed fertilizer in mulch or spray form will enhance growth and give plants the strength to withstand disease. Seaweed mulch also repels slugs.

Minimize insect habitat. Clear garden area of debris and weeds which are breeding places for insects. Use clean mulch.

Keep foliage dry.Water early so foliage will be dry for most of the day. Wet foliage encourages insect and fungal damage to your plants

• Soft-bodied insects (mites, aphids, mealybugs):
    Mix one tablespoon canola oil and a few drops of Ivory soap into a quart of water. Shake well and pour into a spray bottle. Spray plant from above down, and from below up to get the underside of the leaves. The oil smothers the insects.
  • Grubs:
    For lawn or garden grubs, there is a natural remedy called
    milky spore. The granules are spread on the soil and cause the grubs to contract a disease that kills them. This natural control affects only the grubs, leaving the beneficial organisms unharmed. Milky spore multiplies over time and will sit inactive, waiting for grubs to infect. One treatment is said to last 40 years. The grubs are actually the larvae of Japanese beetles. So, when you kill the grubs you kill the beetle.
  • Mites and other insects:
    Mix two tablespoons of hot pepper sauce or cayenne pepper with a few drops of Ivory soap into a quart of water. Let stand overnight, then stir and pour into a spray bottle and apply as above. Shake container frequently during application.
  • Earwigs, slugs, and other soft-bodied garden pests:
    Sprinkle
    diatomaceous earth over plants and around edges of garden beds. The diatoms particles are very small and sharp – but only harmful to the small exoskeletons of insects, slugs and snails. Insects cannot become immune to its action, as it is a mechanical killer – not a chemical one.
If you choose to go the oil/soap treatment, do it in the evening then wash it off the next morning. I've used this on leaf hopper on my grape vine and it kills them, but the sun shining on the treated leaves the next day turns the leaves brownish - burns them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
...oh, and Welcome to the forum!

momvetkat

5 Year Member
Southern California
Thanks for the quick replies. The only "bugs" I've found are little green caterpillars that are under the pepper leaves. I am doing square foot gardening so the beds are very clean and dry on top. Will try your advice, thanks. Oh, and if I go the cayenne pepper route, will the tortoise still eat the greens?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
The green caterpillars from the small white butterfly/moths?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can always wash the leaves before he eats them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have found nothing that works. Lace wings, lady bugs and mantis egg cases tend to help, but the best strategy I have found is rapid harvest of fast growing stuff before the bugs have time to get a foot hold. I grow my food in 4x8' tables and raised beds on the ground and I chop it all down every two week or so from spring to fall. This keep the bugs to a barely noticeable minimum since they need longer to complete their life cycles to get up to detrimental numbers.

I HATE those little green caterpillars! They destroy my collards, mustard greens and other slower growing crops. I smoosh them every chance I get.

momvetkat

5 Year Member
Southern California
I know! My beds are raised but the biggest problem is that the critters are getting at the seedlings as soon as they spiritual. Ugh!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello momvetcat and a warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
We all love photos, so would love to see pics of your Russian, Mr T!
Enjoy our friendly community