New to pretty much everything here

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBeanie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
Hello, I recently befriended a tortoise that was staring so lovingly at me that I couldn't resist but take him/her home. (Not entirely sure if its a boy or girl the people at the pet store were more interested in trying to get rid of mystery tortoise) Anyways I thought I would join and just see where this leads. Maybe get some input that actually matters :D I attached a photo I think? As of right now the enclosure is temporary until the plans are finished for a tort table I'm making.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    692.3 KB · Views: 42

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi SBeanie, and welcome to the Forum!

You have a very pretty little female steppe (Russian) tortoise.

SBeanie

5 Year Member
California
emysemys said:
Hi SBeanie, and welcome to the Forum!

You have a very pretty little female steppe (Russian) tortoise.

Why thank you :) so my guess of a female was correct sweet. We (my boyfriend and I) named her sky before we were really sure on what the gender was. :D

SBeanie

5 Year Member
California
Ok so I have a quick question, would be great if anyone could help. I was wondering what the best lighting set up would include. I know that they need heat, UVA and UVB but I have read in so many places of people using a night light? do you need a night light and if so what brand or type would be the best?

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
SBeanie said:
Ok so I have a quick question, would be great if anyone could help. I was wondering what the best lighting set up would include. I know that they need heat, UVA and UVB but I have read in so many places of people using a night light? do you need a night light and if so what brand or type would be the best?

You don't want or need a night light. They need dark time also. Unless your night time temps get below 60 deg., don't worry about heat. That's a nice looking Russian (Steppe).

SBeanie

5 Year Member
California
Utah Lynn said:
SBeanie said:

You don't want or need a night light. They need dark time also. Unless your night time temps get below 60 deg., don't worry about heat. That's a nice looking Russian (Steppe).

So I guess I'll find out exactly what temp it gets to at night for sure and then make a decision based off that if I even need one :) thanks!

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Welcome to TFO. Your Russian is a brumating species. If it gets cooler than 50 degrees it will want to go to sleep for the winter. Around 60 degrees is fine for them at night. A cool down aids in their digestion so try turning off all the lights and heat for a few hours at night then check the temp. If your thermostat is set for an average home temp then your tort is probably fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.