New to the forum, need some advice please.

Lillibet

Location (City and/or State)
Edinburgh
Hi, so I have a five year old marginated tortoise that I bought from a tortoise shop. They had a lot of advice and a phone line to call of you need help/advice but they've just closed down. I've just found this forum and it's so helpful, I've been reading through all the advice and care sheets I can find, so thanks. So far everything I was told has been adding up with the advice here, but I was told to feed my tortoise his body size in food five days a week. I grow it all myself and give him calcium powder and cuttlefish bone but as I've been reading through here I can't find an answer on if I'm feeding him enough? I've read he should half half his shell diameter every day or as much as he wants to eat so I just wondered if there's a definitive answer? And also what sort of weight should he be please? And what humidity should his enclosure be? I'd honestly be so thankful for the advice, I just want to do the best for him. Any other advise would be greatly welcome too please, this tortoise forum is honestly like an answer to prayer.

jsheffield - In Memoriam

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Hello and welcome to TFO!

This is a great guide for you to read in establishing solid care for your marginated:

I try to feed my Russians mixed greens and weeds and flowers in an amount that would fill a shallow bowl about the same size as their carapace... my goal is to feed them just a bit more than they will eat every day.

Jamie

Reactions: Tom

Lillibet

Edinburgh

This is a great guide for you to read in establishing solid care for your marginated:

I try to feed my Russians mixed greens and weeds and flowers in an amount that would fill a shallow bowl about the same size as their carapace... my goal is to feed them just a bit more than they will eat every day.

Jamie

Jamie
Thank you that's really helpful.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
The fact is that whatever species of tortoise you have, as long as it is in a suitably large enclosure so that it can get enough exercise, then you should feed it as much as it will eat of the right, varied diet every single day.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, so I have a five year old marginated tortoise that I bought from a tortoise shop. They had a lot of advice and a phone line to call of you need help/advice but they've just closed down. I've just found this forum and it's so helpful, I've been reading through all the advice and care sheets I can find, so thanks. So far everything I was told has been adding up with the advice here, but I was told to feed my tortoise his body size in food five days a week. I grow it all myself and give him calcium powder and cuttlefish bone but as I've been reading through here I can't find an answer on if I'm feeding him enough? I've read he should half half his shell diameter every day or as much as he wants to eat so I just wondered if there's a definitive answer? And also what sort of weight should he be please? And what humidity should his enclosure be? I'd honestly be so thankful for the advice, I just want to do the best for him. Any other advise would be greatly welcome too please, this tortoise forum is honestly like an answer to prayer.
Hello and welcome. Wherever you were finding that info, its the old wrong info. The thread Jaime linked and the tips from Tammy will help. Here is more info to explain the discrepancies:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My food measurement isn't in relations to the tortoise's size, but rather it's how he cleans up his plate. If he eats it all and is looking for more, I didn't give him enough. I strive for having just a little food left over at the end of the day. Also, I feed every day.

Lillibet

Edinburgh
Thank you all. I've decided to build a bigger enclosure, 4ft by 11ft and the information about heating and lighting that space got me a bit confused. I thought I definitely needed CHE's to keep that size of a space the right temperature but then I read this bit " 27. Enclosure types: Open topped enclosures only work if the room conditions are what the tortoise needs. Adult Testudo, for example, are fine at normal room temperatures and humidity, as long as they have adequate lighting, a warmer basking area, a humid hide, and appropriate UV. Baby sulcatas, for example, are NOT fine at 70 degrees and 30% humidity."
I live in the UK and we keep the house at around 21°c (69.8°f) all the time. Does this mean I do or don't need CHE's?