New to the forums.

ashenfeather

Location (City and/or State)
Montana
Hello,

I'm new to the forums. I rescued a Russian tortoise, who was in pretty bad shape when I got him. His beak was massively overgrown, his claws were nearly growing up into the bottoms of his feet, and he was covered in a layer of foul-smelling dirt. The previous owner had him on rough, sand substrate, but I've switched him over to coconut fiber. He's still a bit dehydrated, I think and is fairly lethargic at times. He seems to be eating and drinking, however. This is the first time that I've owned a tortoise, so any advice would be welcomed. I bought a heat lamp and a UVB light for him since his previous owner didn't have him under a UVB and I read that is vital to their health. She said that he's about seven or eight years of age.

Best regards,
Anna

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Last edited by a moderator:

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
You'll eventually be able to tell when they're too light or feeling nice and dense. Too light is kind of like holding a hollow box. You'll need to get his beak trimmed so it's done safely. As for the nails, I've never heard if them being that long. If it's still sunny where you live, get him out in the sun daily if you can. No fruit. Check out a diet list on Russian tortoise.net

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Anna, and welcome to the Forum!

If the previous owner had him for 7 or 8 years, then the tortoise is probably around 20 years old. In order for our pet shops to sell tortoises they have to be bigger than 4" front to back in a straight line. For a Russian tortoise to be big enough to be sold in a pet store, he's about 8 or 10 years old. At any rate, he's full grown.

Good for you! to take on a special needs tortoise. Russians are a pretty hardy species. I'd love to see pictures of this little survivor.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum Anna, and thanks the rescue!

Please post pics of your tort, and give him daily soaks in warm water; particularly if you live in a place where the climate is DRY. Make sure that his/her enclosure is warm and humid enough.

Look forward to seeing pics.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Hello and welcome to the forum. Great save.. Best of luck to you and your lucky to have you tortoise.

ToritheTortoise

South New Jersey
Hi and Welcome,
When I first got my little Tori a Leopard she did not want to stay in the water dish and soak. But know that she is so large she goes in our bath tub. What I do is first i rinse it (get out any soap) put enough warm water so it reaches the bottom shell when she stands and close the shower doors. I keep her in about 20 minutes and change the water when it gets cool.Great for humidity and poops!!!! This work great for us!

ashenfeather

Montana
I'm sorry that it has taken me so long to reply. Thank you for the warm welcome. I've been giving him regular soaks as was recommended. He seems to be a little more active, although I think that I need to get another light for him. The temperatures in his enclosure aren't as warm as I'd like. Are there any lights that you would recommend? I trimmed his claws, but his beak still needs trimming. And I think that he has old shell rot on his back, but it isn't soft. I have an appointment to take him to see a vet for apparently the first time in his life. I was told by his previous owner that I am actually the fifth person to care for him, and she doesn't really know much about his history other than that he has possible nerve damage in one of his front legs? He sometimes drags it behind him whenever he's walking. When she was asking around if anyone wanted him, I wasn't really sure that I did. But when I saw him, I couldn't leave him behind. Here's a picture.

7c6f86d2-7676-4fa9-89b5-4e0fded19744_zpse8tstouj.jpg

Is there anything else that you would recommend to have him on, besides coco fiber? He seems to really like it, but I'm not sure if I have enough of it. He likes to burrow. I've heard that some people keep hay on top of the coco fiber? Or they use play sand? I'm a little hesitant to use sand at all, considering his previous enclosure. The sand really seemed to irritate him.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
No sand because it can cause him to get impacted and hay molds. Just get more coco coir. Let him burrow all he wants. Keep it a little damp.

ashenfeather

Montana
I just wanted to update everyone. He's doing really well. He's a lot more active now that I've soaked him. He has a clean bill of health from the vet, and his beak is trimmed. I also bought him more coco coir, and a better heat lamp. He seems to be really happy. He absolutely loves to burrow into the coco coir. Thank you for all of the tips and suggestions. It has really helped. He still hates being soaked, but I'm certain that he'll get used to it in time.