New to the group

Momoftwins

Location (City and/or State)
Corning, NY
Hey all, I'm new here and don't have a tortoise yet but it's something my 12 year old twins wants. We live in upstate NY, so winters are quite harsh. I'm not looking for a tortoise that gets extremely large... and I've been doing my research. What would you all recommend? Close to wear I work, a family has a russian tortoise, they let him roam all over the yards and it sports a tracking device with a big silver bow so it's easily spotted in the grass. This is the cutest thing ever. My residents in the long term care facility where I work loves watching him out their windows.

Thanks!!

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Hey all, I'm new here and don't have a tortoise yet but it's something my 12 year old twins wants. We live in upstate NY, so winters are quite harsh. I'm not looking for a tortoise that gets extremely large... and I've been doing my research. What would you all recommend? Close to wear I work, a family has a russian tortoise, they let him roam all over the yards and it sports a tracking device with a big silver bow so it's easily spotted in the grass. This is the cutest thing ever. My residents in the long term care facility where I work loves watching him out their windows.

Thanks!!
Well done for doing some research here first, there are lots of great care sheets for the species you are after. Mediterranean species seem to be the best choice for you, not Sulcatas or leopards which grow large. I recommend buying from a good breeder rather than a pet store, we had a person on the forum who bought a sulcata thinking it was a Greek tortoise, it wasn’t her fault though.

Good luck!

I recommend any of the Greek tortoise subspecies (My favourite:))

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

Thanks!!
I have a Russian and decided on that because they are small. It's not as hard to have an inside enclosure in the winter and take them to an outside enclosure on days that are good for them for fresh air and sunshine. I believe Hermans are similar. Adult Russians also have temperature and humidity needs that are fairly close to us humans. But there's plenty of care sheets on raising babies here if you decide to do a baby which is different. I'm glad I got an adult because I bypassed a lot of issues as a first time tortoise parent with a baby. I'm really happy with my little Saphire and I've had him 12 years. Best wishes with whatever you decide on.

MPappagallo

Myrtle Beach, SC

Thanks!!
Welcome to the forum! You will find tons of great info here and lots of folks that are willing to help with questions, advice, etc. Best of luck with whatever tortie you decide to get for your twins!