New to the group!

Alex and the Redfoot

Location (City and/or State)
Cyprus
Ok great thank you so so much! I will order the thermostat now. I was also curious if replacing the mesh lid with plexiglass may be a good solution? I will be building Archie a larger enclosure when he grows a bit and the greenhouse seems perfect for anything bigger than his current tank but my roommate suggested just switching the top. I also ordered the new UV so hopefully that will be delivered soon.
If you make a plexiglass cover, you will have to cut holes for the lamp domes and UVB tube fixture. They won't fit inside the tank. Instead, you can look for 1-2 plastic storage bins (like underbed storage boxes) of suitable size and height. But this could be even more band-aid than a portable greenhouse :) (you can fit the whole tank under the greenhouse top, just in case).

archie2024

Georgia
The problem is the open top. Someone sold you the wrong type of enclosure and all the wrong lighting too. Trying to heat and humidify an open topped enclosure is like trying to heat your house in winter with no roof. You need a large closed chamber with all the heating and lighting inside. This will contain your heat and humidity. Using foil or plexiglass on top still creates a chimney effect if the heating and lighting is outside the enclosure.

Once you have a closed chamber, you will need lower wattage bulbs to keep it from over heating, and that thermostat will make your CHE keep it just the right temperature day and night.

Infrared and other colored bulbs should never be used over tortoises.

Compact cfl bulbs should not be used over tortoises or any other reptiles. They are ineffective UV sources and sometime burn their eyes. Use a HO type T5 florescent tube for UV

Cocofiber is not safe for tortoises. They will eat some of those fibers, either accidentally or on purpose, and it can block them up. Coco coir can work, but orchid bark is best for red foot tortoises because you can keep the lower layers damp, while the upper layers remain relatively dry, which will prevent the typical shell rot in this species that is caused by constantly wet substrate in a futile attempt to keep humidity high with an open top. Once you have a closed chamber, it will be easy to maintain high humidity and a dry substrate.

Closed chambers are not air tight. There is still plenty of airflow and oxygen reaching your tortoise. The idea is to reduce ventilation and airflow enough to be able to maintain warmth and humidity. To use the house/roof analogy again, you close your windows on a cold winter night to reduce ventilation, don't you? But you can still breathe, right?

This thread will explain why you've gotten such bad advice previously, and also catch you up to speed on the most current and correct tortoise care info. We should have started you with this:

Questions are welcome! :)
Thank you so much! The infrared bulb is out and has been replaced with another CHE and the new UVB bulb has been ordered. I also picked up the orchid bark and will be replacing the substrate today! Thank you for your advice it is much appreciated!

Reactions: Tom

archie2024

Georgia
If you make a plexiglass cover, you will have to cut holes for the lamp domes and UVB tube fixture. They won't fit inside the tank. Instead, you can look for 1-2 plastic storage bins (like underbed storage boxes) of suitable size and height. But this could be even more band-aid than a portable greenhouse :) (you can fit the whole tank under the greenhouse top, just in case).
Thank you! Greenhouse is ordered!

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
That’s awesome! Keep us in the loop with your progress and any further questions, ask away any time🥰

archie2024

Georgia
No problem!😊

Yeah definitely continue with the planned changes, those infrared bulbs can cause the substrate to look like food through the tortoises eyes because of the red light, which is concerning because of the moss too, so yes sooner you can get things switched up the better. The red bulbs are no good in general tbh, they’re hopefully getting more and more phased out for tortoises. The t5 fluorescent bulbs definitely work best as a uv source so glad you’re switching that too🙂

Try putting your CHE in the middle once you remove the basking bulb and see if that heats the enclosure properly, if not maybe two slightly lower watt CHE’s hung either end on a thermostat might work better for you. I’m thinking heat might possibly be an issue because you’re having to leave some of it open topped for your bulbs, if you need time to plan a different enclosure, perhaps try fashioning that topper I mentioned for the tank, hopefully that will sort the issue whilst you’re using it🤞if you do, screw hooks into the wood securely to make sure your bulbs are hung safely and hold strong👍
Hi after looking at this again I had a few more questions. I have already ordered the new UVB and got a different CHE which has already been working better, but does infrared effect red foot’s eyes? Archie started closing his eyes today and after a soak in warm water he opens them but he closes them again soon after so I’m trying to figure out what could be irritating them? The substrate is changed to the orchid bark and the infrared has been off since around 4 pm (as I got the new CHE). I realized that not only was the infrared bulb using infrared but the old CHE I just switched out was a ceramic infrared heat emitter? I hadn’t noticed but that is off as well. The greenhouse and new UVB should be here tomorrow but I am concerned the old lighting could have hurt his eyes.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi after looking at this again I had a few more questions. I have already ordered the new UVB and got a different CHE which has already been working better, but does infrared effect red foot’s eyes? Archie started closing his eyes today and after a soak in warm water he opens them but he closes them again soon after so I’m trying to figure out what could be irritating them? The substrate is changed to the orchid bark and the infrared has been off since around 4 pm (as I got the new CHE). I realized that not only was the infrared bulb using infrared but the old CHE I just switched out was a ceramic infrared heat emitter? I hadn’t noticed but that is off as well. The greenhouse and new UVB should be here tomorrow but I am concerned the old lighting could have hurt his eyes.
Looks like you were using one of those cfl type UV bulbs in the double hood. Those sometimes burn their eyes and shouldn't be used.

The infrared doesn't harm their eyes, but it does dry everything out. The dryness, might have been irritating the eyes.

archie2024

Georgia
Looks like you were using one of those cfl type UV bulbs in the double hood. Those sometimes burn their eyes and shouldn't be used.

The infrared doesn't harm their eyes, but it does dry everything out. The dryness, might have been irritating the eyes.
Ok thank you, so having them off should make it better? The soaks absolutely helped but this morning when I went to feed him they were closed again. After soaking they opened but the light have been off since yesterday. His eyes don’t seem swollen but it seems like he can’t open them without some help from the warm water.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok thank you, so having them off should make it better? The soaks absolutely helped but this morning when I went to feed him they were closed again. After soaking they opened but the light have been off since yesterday. His eyes don’t seem swollen but it seems like he can’t open them without some help from the warm water.
If the eyes were damaged, it will take time for them to heal. Make sure temperatures and humidity are correct and kept up. The tortoise can't sit in the dark, so be sure everything is well lit and warmed up in the absence of those other bulbs.

archie2024

Georgia
If the eyes were damaged, it will take time for them to heal. Make sure temperatures and humidity are correct and kept up. The tortoise can't sit in the dark, so be sure everything is well lit and warmed up in the absence of those other bulbs.
Ok thank you! I have already replaced the CHE and other heating I was using but I am waiting on the new UVB to get delivered today. Hopefully that helps him a bit.

archie2024

Georgia
The set up is fixed! The 2 CHEs with the thermostat has been the biggest relief and the temperatures have been consistently between 84-86. The greenhouse has been great for the humidity. I also swapped the coco husk to coco coir topped with reptibark which also improved the humidity. I think the coco husk was a big part of the issue as well. The new UVB has also been in but I am still working on how to hang it properly as it has no hook (14” hood light). Still waiting on the UVB reader to be delivered and I’m looking for a new humidity gauge as my current is hard to read through the greenhouse. We were also able to grab some spineless cactus pads from Repticon which Archie seems to love! Thank you everyone for all of the help you have offered! Archie couldn’t be happier. 2A40FC08-16EB-4EAB-84BC-A291B9692B31.jpeg1734A3F6-7BF1-4333-8306-4CD7621E2D45.jpeg

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
The set up is fixed! The 2 CHEs with the thermostat has been the biggest relief and the temperatures have been consistently between 84-86. The greenhouse has been great for the humidity. I also swapped the coco husk to coco coir topped with reptibark which also improved the humidity. I think the coco husk was a big part of the issue as well. The new UVB has also been in but I am still working on how to hang it properly as it has no hook (14” hood light). Still waiting on the UVB reader to be delivered and I’m looking for a new humidity gauge as my current is hard to read through the greenhouse. We were also able to grab some spineless cactus pads from Repticon which Archie seems to love! Thank you everyone for all of the help you have offered! Archie couldn’t be happier. View attachment 374348View attachment 374349
Hello!
I'm glad that Archie is happier now! And setup looks good.

Just one thing to pay attention to - don't hang lamp domes on their power cord. Use something like metallic chain or cord for hanging.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
@archie2024 .....
Great GD Job (that's Gosh Darn)!
It is so damn cool to see someone come here for answers and not throw a hissy fit when they get the answers they are seeking. You also were receptive to change what you were doing ... again so damn cool. WELCOME hope you hang around for a long time and continue to contribute to this wonderful place.

archie2024

Georgia
@archie2024 .....
Great GD Job (that's Gosh Darn)!
It is so damn cool to see someone come here for answers and not throw a hissy fit when they get the answers they are seeking. You also were receptive to change what you were doing ... again so damn cool. WELCOME hope you hang around for a long time and continue to contribute to this wonderful place.
Absolutely! Thank you for the warm welcome and I’m excited to learn more as I grow.