Charapa12

Location (City and/or State)
London
Ok so I’m kinna freaking out. I have had my tortoise for around 3 years and a half. I usually let him out in my room to wonder cause even if he has a big *** enclosure, he likes scratching at the walls till I let him out, so I let him out. Today I did just that, and went to cook, I came back to my room about an hour later. He was humping something, witch, nasty, but not unusual. Normally putting him in water will make him retract his penis, but now, his been in water for around an hour, and nothing, his retract most of it, but the tip seems to be swollen?? Like some sort of blister, I don’t really know what to do. I know I have to keep hydrated. But how do I help him? Vet cants see me till tomorrow

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's only a prolapse if the penis comes out and won't go back in. Prolapse is usually caused by straining too much and too hard - constipation, some sort of blockage (ate something off the floor from being allowed to roam around not in an enclosure), etc. So even if you get the prolapsed penis to go back inside, if you don't fix the original cause it will keep coming back out.

Try placing him in your bath tub with enough water that he wants to scramble around trying to get out. Scrambling helps to release the constipation or small stuck items. But keep an eye on him to make sure he doesn't get into trouble.

Charapa12

London
It's only a prolapse if the penis comes out and won't go back in. Prolapse is usually caused by straining too much and too hard - constipation, some sort of blockage (ate something off the floor from being allowed to roam around not in an enclosure), etc. So even if you get the prolapsed penis to go back inside, if you don't fix the original cause it will keep coming back out.

Try placing him in your bath tub with enough water that he wants to scramble around trying to get out. Scrambling helps to release the constipation or small stuck items. But keep an eye on him to make sure he doesn't get into trouble.
Thank you, honestly. I think I’m just going to bye him an even bigger enclosure and not let him rome around. I mean this is the first time we have this problem, but o would rather for it to happen again. It’s still not in. I been trying to put it back with Vaseline and gloves. Buts still. The tip just won’t go in. It’s just the tip. It’s like swollen and he can’t pull it in, like he was liquid there or something