New to the red foot tortoise world

micromental

Location (City and/or State)
West Yorkshire
Hey all my names Josh

I have just been a got a new reptile today and a life long friend and family member

meet JJ
F6E6C03D-01FB-4094-9AC5-DA5A17ABBB62.jpeg
9F3D82E6-4266-4A11-A04C-941673E32003.jpeg
He is a red foot tortoise captive bread 2020
Iv been working on his enclosure today to get it at the right temps and humidity for JJ he’s in a 4ft vivarium (temporary till iv built a more suitable one)
80BC5B04-548E-4E6E-9BC7-62A538D2D030.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The enclosure is fine for now, but my suggestion is to pack that substrate down firmly with your hand then add about 3" of small fir bark over the top of it. #1, the white particles in that substrate encourage babies to eat the substrate and it could cause impaction, and #2 its fine particles are messy and sticking to everything.

The bark will keep the baby above the moisture underneath so he doesn't get shell rot, plus it's cleaner and won't get on his food.

Add several potted plants to make him feel safer and they give him some hiding places.

micromental

West Yorkshire
The enclosure is fine for now, but my suggestion is to pack that substrate down firmly with your hand then add about 3" of small fir bark over the top of it. #1, the white particles in that substrate encourage babies to eat the substrate and it could cause impaction, and #2 its fine particles are messy and sticking to everything.

The bark will keep the baby above the moisture underneath so he doesn't get shell rot, plus it's cleaner and won't get on his food.

Add several potted plants to make him feel safer and they give him some hiding places.
Thank you for your suggestions would this bark be okay? https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/exo-terra-forest-bark-(online-only)?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_shopping&cm_mmc=Google-_-CPC-_- google_shopping-_-google_shopping&ita=1976&ito=google_shopping&istCompanyId=7255ccad-a1fc-4729-af31-478f79e5071c&istFeedId=385e6b9a-8b03-4076-a8bb-e4737df8549c&istItemId=itxmxwrxl&istBid=tzwt&gclid=Cj0KCQiAzfuNBhCGARIsAD1nu-8-x7ME61p-Bchcw2XvCnzdNZWspRc7JKkd2KB18tftOQG9WWEJ8GUaAkkmEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

as orchid bark from pets at home looks like big chunks

also what plants would you suggest? Preferably from local shops

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
He's beautiful and you're in the best place to find out how to care for him.
You can get finer orchid bark online.
@ZEROPILOT will be able to recommend the best substrate when he logs on and give you some other pointers about care too.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, that bark is fine. Most plants you buy will have systemic chemicals in them and have to be 'cleansed' before they can be put with your eating machine. I use cuttings from my house plants, like prayer plant, boston fern, pothos, etc.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
That soil has little white particles in it. That's either fertilizer or a water retention product. Either way a REDFOOT would want to eat it.
Fine grade Orchid bark is best for a Redfoot.
It does a good job of holding in humidity and releasing it over time.

Last edited:

micromental

West Yorkshire
Yes, that bark is fine. Most plants you buy will have systemic chemicals in them and have to be 'cleansed' before they can be put with your eating machine. I use cuttings from my house plants, like prayer plant, boston fern, pothos, etc.
Okay thank you I don’t have any house hold plants at the moment to take clippings from but il look for some how do you cleanse them ? I just moved 2 Keighley 5 weeks ago so I dont know the area that well yet lol
Hi and welcome,
He's beautiful and you're in the best place to find out how to care for him.
You can get finer orchid bark online.
@ZEROPILOT will be able to recommend the best substrate when he logs on and give you some other pointers about care too.
thank you and I agree I’m using tortoise life substrate at the moment but il put that bark on top after work tomorrow he is eating the veggies and greens tho which is a good sign I guess JJ is still settling in at the moment tho :)

micromental

West Yorkshire
That soul has little white particles in it. That's either fertilizer or a water retention product. Either way a REDFOOT would want to eat it.
Fine grade Orchid bark is best for a Redfoot.
It does a good job of holding in humidity and releasing it over time.
It’s tortoise life substrate can be changed once I get the bark tomorrow

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Okay thank you I don’t have any house hold plants at the moment to take clippings from but il look for some how do you cleanse them ? I just moved 2 Keighley 5 weeks ago so I dont know the area that well yet lol

thank you and I agree I’m using tortoise life substrate at the moment but il put that bark on top after work tomorrow he is eating the veggies and greens tho which is a good sign I guess JJ is still settling in at the moment tho :)
I loved Keighley when I visited the Bronte House years ago.
Good that he's eating - I know redfoot also need animal protein in their diet but that's something you can ask Ed (Zeropilot) about. There's probably a caresheet for redfoot in the South American torts section of Species specific too to get you started.
Shop/garden centre plants need to befully washed and repotted in chemical free soil and left for at least a year to allow any pesticeides/fertilisers absorbed by the plant to grow out.
www.thetortoisetable.org.uk will help you with finding tort safe plants.

micromental

West Yorkshire
I loved Keighley when I visited the Bronte House years ago.
Good that he's eating - I know redfoot also need animal protein in their diet but that's something you can ask Ed (Zeropilot) about. There's probably a caresheet for redfoot in the South American torts section of Species specific too to get you started.
Yeah that’s good to know I’m not new to reptiles like iv had a green iguana, a bearded dragon 13 corn snakes, crested geckos I’m just new to tortoises that’s all but I love the learning curve and researching the history etc… even tho I’m a mechanic and a welder by trade

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I edited the last reply to include something about plants for you.

micromental

West Yorkshire
I edited the last reply to include something about plants for you.
That’s super handy thanks lyn so if I find these in the wild and cut a leaf or two off and bring them home and wash them in clean water can my tortoise then eat them also do you have to use chlorine free water in a water dish for JJ or can JJ cope with tap water?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
The photo shows a bright spot.
Is that a hot area?
What types of heating and lighting are you using?
I'm at work right now and I'm typing between customers.
I'll re read everything tonight

Last edited:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
That’s super handy thanks lyn so if I find these in the wild and cut a leaf or two off and bring them home and wash them in clean water can my tortoise then eat them also do you have to use chlorine free water in a water dish for JJ or can JJ cope with tap water?
I've always used tap water for my leopard I don't know if it's different for redfoot.
For food - any plants on their diet sheet you find in safe places i.e away from roads and fumes and anywhere where weed killers etc have been used will be fine if washed. I've no idea what plants redfoot eat though . Look out for Zeropilot's posts.

micromental

West Yorkshire
The photo shows a bright spot.
Is that a hot area?
What types of heating and lighting are you using?
I'm at work right now and I'm typing between customers right now.
I'll re read everything tonight
It’s the Basking area yeah with a basking bulb on a thermostat set at around 28C to 30C and a 10% UVB fluorescent bulb 42”for uv which go off at night and a heat emmiter that comes on at night time with a thermostat for night time temps set at 25.2C

and humidity is controlled with a cool mist humidifier on a humidity controller to keep the humidity around 80% day and night

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ok
Temperature:
You need an ambient temperature of between 80 and 87F. Not a hot or cold side.
Your humidity needs to be above 70% day and night.
You need a T5 HO 5.0 florescent linear tube lamp.
You can use a relatively low wattage incandescent bulb...or two for daytime heat. Like maybe 60 watts. Or you can just use the light of the UVB tube and warm the enclosure with one or two CHE. CHE provide no light. Just heat and are ideal for nighttime. But they also work for daytime.
They're very, very long lasting and should be set on a thermostat to cut on and off to regulate the warmth.
Any form of heating or lighting must not give off bright light. Redfoot are primarily shade loving. And get uncomfortable in harsh lighting and higher heat.
A closed chamber enclosure is the only REAL option for an indoors Redfoot. It is mostly sealed (closed) except for maybe a small area on the top that can be opened and closed to regulate the humidity. In most closed chamber enclosures the lamps are mounted inside the enclosure. On the underside of the lid or suspended one way or another. Using Orchid bark in that enclosure works so well because you can pour a little water into it and it releases humidity as it evaporates and the top layer can still remain relatively dry.
Dry is an issue. And since most keepers of Redfoot usually struggle at first to get the humidity "dialed in", shell fungus issues can happen. This is pretty common and can easily be treated with any non prescription Athletes Foot cream or general anti fungal cream.
I reccomend any Redfoot keeper to just get an inexpensive tube of it now. Because at some point you'll probably need it. Here in south Florida I keep all of my Redfoot outdoors and I see fungal issues here as well. Even outdoors.
Feeding is the best part. It's so easy because Redfoot can eat so many things. Just about any fresh, unprocessed food that your family eats, they can eat.
Green leafy items, raw meat. (Although I do boil my chicken) eggs, vegetable matter, mushrooms, flowers, fruit. Up to 60% fruit. (That's a diet that would kill most other tortoises.) Cactus, lots of different yard weeds like dandelions and some prepared food like Mazuri.
There should be several things you can feed every day with just a minimal amount of searching inside and outside the house.
Mix it up and enjoy that. The keepers of most other species would be envious.
Oh, and hides. Redfoot like to hide. Especially young ones and something like a sideways flowerpot half sunken into the substrate works great for that. Mine come out looking for food at dawn and by full sun, they are hiding and avoiding the sun and heat. They come back out if it gets cloudy or rains. They love the rain.
Any other questions? Please ask.
I'm sorry it took me so long. My little part time job is becoming a full time pain in my rear and its cutting into my time here on the forum

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
It’s the Basking area yeah with a basking bulb on a thermostat set at around 28C to 30C and a 10% UVB fluorescent bulb 42”for uv which go off at night and a heat emmiter that comes on at night time with a thermostat for night time temps set at 25.2C

and humidity is controlled with a cool mist humidifier on a humidity controller to keep the humidity around 80% day and night
That actually sounds pretty good.
Disregard any unnecessary information on the above post.
The only thing that pops out at me is the humidifier. I don't like them. I don't recommend them. And I think you'll find that it's an unnecessary complexity once you set up a closed chamber enclosure.
A closed chamber enclosure captures heat and humidity and maintains both very well