New to the Tortoise World

Morgan.Lee

Hello,
I'm new to the Tortoise world, I've been wanting to get one for awhile and I finally have the time to be home enough for one. I live in Dallas, TX and I want to get one that will eventually be able to have an area outside and an area inside. I've mainly been looking at the Leopard tortoise, they seem to do the best in the heat. They are also the largest I would like to go in terms of the average size they grow to. I love the look of the Red Footed, but I think they need more humidity than what Dallas has to offer. I really just want one that will be the healthiest possible when he/she will be outside.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am so excited for this and I want to rush and just buy one, but I really want to get the right kind, since I'll have it for so long. Also any suggestion for good breeders out there, I've read SO many different reviews, that I'm kind of at a loss as to who to go to.

Thanks a lot guys!!!

Morgan

:):tort:

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
Hello Morgan and Welcome.

I think you did your homework already, if you can continue to browsing through more threads in the Leopard tortoise and enclosure sections, you will have ides how to build your own indoor and outdoor enclosure.

I love to see your update when you have the enclosure build and new tortoises in.

good to have you here, this is a great place to learn and share.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sounds like a leopard tortoise will suit you very well.

Morgan.Lee

Do either of you know a decent breeder for them? I've never had an animal shipped before, so I'm leery to do that...

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Do either of you know a decent breeder for them? I've never had an animal shipped before, so I'm leery to do that...

We have breeder section and also vendor section. Brows around and you will also find some review of those vendors. Good luck and have fun. I know you will.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Morgan, and welcome to the Forum!

There's nothing wrong with shipping. Most vendors do it all the time. They do an overnighter and the tortoise is delivered the next day. Of course, there is the occasional hiccough, but most of the time it ends up just fine.