new tort owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

thorandamy

5 Year Member
hi, i have just inherited a six year old leopard tortoise, i have made him a tort table from an old bookcase upended and screwed to a large set of drawers. I think i have his enviroment correct but im confused about his food. i want to feed a natural diet and have tried to research the right weeds but the sites ive been on are offering conflicting advice on the same sort of weeds.At the moment all he is eating is dandelion leaves and some grass.Should he be having more variety and if so what. any useful tips or hints to keep him healthy and happy would be apprieated..
thanks clare

thorandamy

5 Year Member
Yourlocalpoet said:
Hi Claire, welcome to TFO. I feed mine spring greens, grass, timothy hay, dandelions, frisee, clover, chicory, hedge mustard, grape leaves, hibiscus, chickweed and cactus. This is a pretty good list I refer to. http://africantortoise.com/edible_plants.htm

Can we see photos? :)

hi, thanks for the list and the link ill have a look at it....ill try and put some pics on soon...thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Clare:

Welcome to the forum!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
A leopard, now those are usually very pretty. Hope we soon get to see how pretty your fellow is. :D I am so very glad you have found us!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Welcome to the forum Clare :)

Danny

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Here' a list of some of my favorites: Weeds like dandelion, sow thistle, plantain, mallow, filaree, etc., grasses, rose hibiscus grape and mulberry leaves, hibiscus and rose flowers, cactus pads, grocery store greens and spring mix, and some Mazuri Tortoise Chow mixed in a couple of times a week.

thorandamy

5 Year Member
hi, thank you for all the eplys i will be trying him on some of the things suggested...can anyone tell me how to download a pic onto here thanks
clare

thorandamy

5 Year Member
hi again lol ,i think i have managed to download two pics...can someone let me know if you can view them ...thanks
clare

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tortilla is very cute! I love his coloring.

Status
Not open for further replies.