New Tort Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadk

10 Year Member!
Let's see if I can get pics to work this time...

Does this work?
20308_37037_Large_fVeOEqL8oB7.jpg

I guess I can just do attachments if not...

chadk said:
Let's see if I can get pics to work this time...

Does this work?
20308_37037_Large_fVeOEqL8oB7.jpg

I guess I can just do attachments if not...

I can see the pic, but can anyone else???

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WI
yes, i can see it

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Is this Timmy the Russian Tort? I thought it was a Sulcata. Anyway he's beautiful.

BigBiscuit

5 Year Member
Iowa, U.S.
Chad,

Your little tort looks like he has been lifting weights. He is a cool looking dude (or dudette).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just look at the armor on those legs! He's ready for a joust!!

Yvonne

turtlemom

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Berthoud, Colorado
emysemys said:
Just look at the armor on those legs! He's ready for a joust!!

Yvonne

that's funny . . . and he lives in the castle that is behind him in the photo :D

Donna

chadk

10 Year Member!
Thanks all :) Glad the pics worked this time. Was able to get my iherp pics linked here...

Welcome to Tortoise Town Version 1.0. Still tweaking it, but I'm liking it so far. In a few weeks, nice healthy weeds should be sprouting up all over.
20308_37038_Large_fKEoMYMQS6zxt6X.jpg

Wading pool #1. The 48 quart tub is full of eco-earth + organic potting soil + play sand. Topped with some spag moss. Has lots of digging. There is plenty of hiding room under the slate and log. Nice and humid with the CHE keeping the slate roof nice and warm.
20308_37039_Large_IasogEGaBzkI.jpg

This converted book case (actually a hunter douglass blind display case) is 3/4inch thick sides and even the back - so very heavy and very sturdy. But it is held together with simple pressure clips, so it is only a matter of seconds to completely set up the case and take it down.

It started out as 7ft by almost 3ft and 17inches deep. I cut it down (6ft) to fit under my son's raised captain's bed.

I covered the bottom in 6mil heavy plastic duct taped about 2 to 3 inches up each side. To be sure digging torts don't manage to tear it, I covered the plastic with heavy contractors paper (very heavy duty stuff that comes in 3ft wide rolls).

I filled the bottom then with 2-3 inches of a mix of play sand, eco-earth, and organic potting soil. Added the 48qt tub (3ft x 1.5 feet) and filled that with 4-5 inches of the same stuff.

Added all the rocks, fake plants, water dishes, slate tiles, castle, etc. Then seeded everything possible.

There is a wide range of micro-climates and lots of places to climb, dig, browse on weeds and grasses, etc. The tall sides keep messy diggers under control, and keep my dog, cat, and toddlers a safe distance back.

I can gain about 6 more square feet if I ever want to expand. And may add a plexi glass barrier if the kids, other pets, etc ever become an issue. Also, that room tends to run cold (basement level), so the plexi glass might help keep temps up and more consistent.

The castle, pool #2, and the swinging happy tort... The planter in the back is wheat grass and other weeds\grasses that should sprout up soon.
20308_37040_Large_Tns7uyrs30.jpg

20308_37042_Large_GVcuV7DIog4O.jpg

20308_37041_Large_mk1HTUl1LW0w.jpg

20308_37044_Large_CFzrntVMsJ.jpg

M

Maggie Cummings

I see 2 different species there...they don't live together do they? That's a great tort town and it shows that you have worked hard to create a great place for torts to live, but mixing species just isn't right, each species carries pathogens indicative to themselves. It may not show now but if for some reason one of the torts got stressed those pathogens from the other tort could kick in and cause sickness and even death. I am not explaining it very well, maybe Danny will offer a bit of his wisdom...

chadk

10 Year Member!
maggie3fan said:
I see 2 different species there...they don't live together do they? That's a great tort town and it shows that you have worked hard to create a great place for torts to live, but mixing species just isn't right, each species carries pathogens indicative to themselves. It may not show now but if for some reason one of the torts got stressed those pathogens from the other tort could kick in and cause sickness and even death. I am not explaining it very well, maybe Danny will offer a bit of his wisdom...

Maggie, thanks for your concern. This was just a photo shoot to show the 2 together for size comparison. Timmy is approx 5yr old RT that seems pretty normal in size and healthy with a pretty well formed shell. I did allow Timmy to explore and get some exercise in there though.

chadk

10 Year Member!
GOOD NEWS!! "Thunder" starting eating like crazy last night when I got home from work :) He\she wasn't interested at first, but I just put little piles of freshly picked from my yard dandilion greens all around the spots I know he hangs out in. I just kept peeking in on him, and sure enough, he starting munching on them. I then snuck back in and sprinkled some bits of timothy hay on the greens and then some TNT and Calcium + D3 powder. He stopped eating for a few minutes, but didn't take long before he was downing that as well :)

rockintrixi

5 Year Member
Those two little guys are absolutely adorable. I love your enclosure, cute!!!

rockintrixi

desertsss

5 Year Member
That's nice. Diggin' the castle. Can't wait to see the finished products.

Status
Not open for further replies.