RedFoot Enclosure Update

theguy67

10 Year Member!
So the fountain is nearly done. I just need to cover the plumbing with gravel. I'm pleased with how it has turned out. Adding 2 reduced splashing and the harsh noise coming from the original. Now it's a pleasant flow. I'm hoping I can begin to enjoy all of it after I clean the place up.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1502651972.818933.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1502651990.782491.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1502652021.536193.jpg

And of course, the male was checking on my progress.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1502652077.321440.jpg

Not much has changed, but I'm hoping with major construction done, things will begin to fill in and look better.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1502652160.716049.jpg

theguy67

10 Year Member!
How do you filter the water?

Combination of biological and mechanical filtering. The gravel provides a source for beneficial bacteria to grow, and the plants feed off the processed nutrients. I have a sponge on the intake of the pump. The pond is quite shallow. Total its probably 60-70 gallons, so its not much. Plus, water is always being added and removed.

theguy67

10 Year Member!
Inside

So I’ve mentioned that the tortoises have an indoor area they have access to, but never really shown it....until today!

Since my other projects are finishing up (and “winter is coming” as Jon Snow would say), I’ve decided to renovate the inside.

So this room was mainly just a dirt floor (main reason why I’ve never shown it, not much to talk about). I had 2, 5x2.5ft boxes made with a small green house over each for winter. This worked well, and I even left it open for them to come and go, as many days here (during the winter months) , the room stays in the 70s, with the greenhouses staying in the mid 80s.

The greenhouses didn't hold up very well, and began to deteriorate. I knew they their days were numbered. This room is also where my mother keeps her plants for winter. A make shift counter was used for this, which lead to a lot of wasted floor space. I've decided to make "real" counter top that also works as an enclosure for the adults.

The enclosure, below, is L shaped. 14 feet long, by 3 feet wide. The left side has a 4 foot section that wraps around the wall. It is designed so they can enter and leave as they wish.

IMG_3515.jpg

IMG_3517.jpg

IMG_3521.jpg

IMG_3519.jpg

IMG_3520.jpg

Above you can see one of two doors. The other is on the opposite end. I am including two doors to reduce potential fighting. If a tortoise is being bullied, they can just keep going and leave out the other side.

IMG_3522.jpg

Here is the smaller section, that extends from the main counter. This was a last minute idea I had. The plan is to use it as a laying-box, of sorts. I will dig out all the dirt, about 10 inches down and replace it with a more friendly substrate for digging (soil/clay, sand, peatmoss mix perhaps?). I know many say tortoises will not lay where you want them, but I don't really believe that. I'm going to also provide a mister above, and a thermometer in the soil. Perhaps I will even add some plants to provide some privacy, and a light on a timer to simulate partial shade. Worst case scenario, it doesn't work and they just have more space for the winter.

Last edited:

theguy67

10 Year Member!
Love it. More photos required though :p

lol, it's just bones right now. I should have waited to post, but I was too excited (and bored).

I wish I could afford a heated greenhouse for the winter, but that just isn't efficient. Neither is heating an entire room (to 80 degrees) when the majority of the volume isn't even being used. To me, this is the best idea. A night box/closed chamber hybrid of sorts.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Inside

So I’ve mentioned that the tortoises have an indoor area they have access to, but never really shown it....until today!

Since my other projects are finishing up (and “winter is coming” as Jon Snow would say), I’ve decided to renovate the inside.

So this room was mainly just a dirt floor (main reason why I’ve never shown it, not much to talk about). I had 2, 5x2.5ft boxes made with a small green house over each for winter. This worked well, and I even left it open for them to come and go, as many days here (during the winter months) , the room stays in the 70s, with the greenhouses staying in the mid 80s.

The greenhouses didn't hold up very well, and began to deteriorate. I knew they their days were numbered. This room is also where my mother keeps her plants for winter. A make shift counter was used for this, which lead to a lot of wasted floor space. I've decided to make "real" counter top that also works as an enclosure for the adults.

The enclosure, below, is L shaped. 14 feet long, by 3 feet wide. The left side has a 4 foot section that wraps around the wall. It is designed so they can enter and leave as they wish.

View attachment 220432

View attachment 220433

View attachment 220434

View attachment 220435

View attachment 220436

Above you can see one of two doors. The other is on the opposite end. I am including two doors to reduce potential fighting. If a tortoise is being bullied, they can just keep going and leave out the other side.

View attachment 220437

Here is the smaller section, that extends from the main counter. This was a last minute idea I had. The plan is to use it as a laying-box, of sorts. I will dig out all the dirt, about 10 inches down and replace it with a more friendly substrate for digging (soil/clay, sand, peatmoss mix perhaps?). I know many say tortoises will not lay where you want them, but I don't really believe that. I'm going to also provide a mister above, and a thermometer in the soil. Perhaps I will even add some plants to provide some privacy, and a light on a timer to simulate partial shade. Worst case scenario, it doesn't work and they just have more space for the winter.
Looks nice! :) Do the windows catch a lot of daytime sun? That will be nice for the torts in the winter. My husband and I are already thinking about our next house, which we'd like to design and build, with an extended greenhouse room on one end, which will also become the new tortoise bedroom. :p Gotta dream big! Hehehe!

theguy67

10 Year Member!
Looks nice! :) Do the windows catch a lot of daytime sun? That will be nice for the torts in the winter. My husband and I are already thinking about our next house, which we'd like to design and build, with an extended greenhouse room on one end, which will also become the new tortoise bedroom. :p Gotta dream big! Hehehe!

They catch morning sun. There's 3 holes (currently boarded up) for future windows. In the future, I have plans for a greenhouse too. I actually have really big plans for a rather large building. So large I may need a partner to build it with me, but that's years down the road.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
They catch morning sun. There's 3 holes (currently boarded up) for future windows. In the future, I have plans for a greenhouse too. I actually have really big plans for a rather large building. So large I may need a partner to build it with me, but that's years down the road.
Sounds wonderful! I hope both our dreams come true someday!!

theguy67

10 Year Member!
Enclosure is done!

IMG_3615.jpg

IMG_3617.jpg

IMG_3616.jpg

Here is one of the two doors. I used vinyl purchased from Walmart (can’t remember thickness). It’s 4 flaps, double layered. Works pretty well!

IMG_3618.jpg

IMG_3624.jpg

theguy67

10 Year Member!
I forgot to take a pic of the nesting area to the left. If they choose not to use it, its no loss. Just more room for them. I couldn't find peat moss in time, so I will need to dig it out later and refill with peat-moss/soil. Maybe some sand? That's just a guess. I may even try different combos.

The windows are held in place by a piece of trim on the top board.This makes it possible to pull the bottom of the plexi glass out for easy access. Then all you have to do is pop it back in behind the trim. I caulked and sealed the inside, but did not paint the outside. There's other stuff that still needs to get done in the room, I don't want dings and scratches in the paint. The cold nights were coming quick, so I had to get it together fast since I tore down last winter's enclosures.

The enclosure received a decent test the other night. I was worried my 5 CHEs and 2 100wtt light bulbs would not be enough. It was 34 outside. The room got down to the low 60s, and the enclosure was just above 80. I've thought about adding a small fan to circulate the heat inside. This would help to evenly distribute the heat, but now I'm not sure if it would be needed. Perhaps it could still increase efficiency? I have a fan, just can't find it!

It was dusty while we worked, but have since hosed the entire floor down. I plan to add an irrigation system (on timer) soon. I've even toyed with the idea of hanging a few from the ceiling of the room.

theguy67

10 Year Member!
:D Now all you need are some palm trees!!

You know, I have thought about putting one right in the middle of their outdoor enclosure. I thought it would look kinda hilarious, having a random palm tree sticking out.