RedFoot Enclosure Update

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Winter Renovations

I got quite a bit done this past winter,...more than what can be seen in the follow pics, but they give a good idea of what is to come this spring.

View attachment 198612
View attachment 198612
The limestone in the background is being used to encircle the fountain, as a retaining wall so there will be a proper border separating that portion of the water feature form the surrounding land. I honestly had no idea what I was going to do to finish off the fountain. I knew what I wanted for a fountain, but didn't know how to define it in the enclosure. The ground will be raised 4 inches on both sides of the stream, and around the fountain.

View attachment 198615
Above, you can see the framework for the 2nd stone of the fountain. It needs one more layer of cement, and then it will be ready to be stained. I tried to give it more character than the previous one. There will be a 3rd, smaller stone to follow. I hope to plant more shrubbery around the fountain to help blend it into the landscape some more. I'm thinking some grasses, knockout rose bushes, and may some day lilies behind the stone, in the water.
View attachment 198614 View attachment 198610
Above you can see the beginning of the yearling pen. It reaches across the entire back wall of the building, 14 ft, offset about 20 inches, giving quite a bit of space for the smaller tortoises. The stones may not look it, but they are level lol. The last 3 feet curve into the wall. If you notice, there is a gate I had to take into account. The bamboo will add a nice screen for the babies, while providing a micro-climate to protect them from the sun, and help retain moisture. Its also right by a sprinkler that can be programmed to spray 4 times per day. This enclosure will also provide me with a place to plant smaller plants that otherwise would be trampled by the adults, such as small bananas. I also think some caladiums would look nice between the bamboo.

I'm very excited to see what this spring has to offer. I have big plans for this year, which includes incorporating more fruiting plants, such as berries.
Excellent stuff. Can't wait to see the finished project.
What are you using to stain the cement fountains?

theguy67

10 Year Member!
Excellent stuff. Can't wait to see the finished project.
What are you using to stain the cement fountains?

I use iron sulfate fertilizer, and coffee grounds. Its super cheap compared to commercial concrete stains. When I apply it, I try to be somewhat inconsistent so different values are produced. I then seal it with a non-gloss sealer. That is how I made the large red stones too. They sell large stone fountains, even concrete ones, for hundreds of dollars, but you can easily make one for less than 100. The pump is the most expensive part. I'm still learning how to do the "artsy" part of it, but I think it turned out well. I may try to use more coffee this time, and give the 2nd stone a darker appearance so all 3 aren't the same color.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I use iron sulfate fertilizer, and coffee grounds. Its super cheap compared to commercial concrete stains. When I apply it, I try to be somewhat inconsistent so different values are produced. I then seal it with a non-gloss sealer. That is how I made the large red stones too. They sell large stone fountains, even concrete ones, for hundreds of dollars, but you can easily make one for less than 100. The pump is the most expensive part. I'm still learning how to do the "artsy" part of it, but I think it turned out well. I may try to use more coffee this time, and give the 2nd stone a darker appearance so all 3 aren't the same color.
Looks good. I've used the cement technique and just painted it. When I do the hingebacks enclosure I'll try the iron and coffee method.
I also like the 'just cement' look too, I've seen this in zoos over here and it looks good once moss a climbing plants grow around it.
Keep the ideas coming, it's interesting.

theguy67

10 Year Member!
Looks good. I've used the cement technique and just painted it. When I do the hingebacks enclosure I'll try the iron and coffee method.
I also like the 'just cement' look too, I've seen this in zoos over here and it looks good ones moss a climbing plants grow around it.
Keep the ideas coming, it's interesting.

I've tried paint on some sample pieces, and it didn't give me the same look. Perhaps I need a water soluble paint, but the fertilizer actually soaks into the cement and stains it (rather than sitting on top), making it look more like a stone as you get different values with different depths of staining.

I have also added another bamboo plant behind the limestone wall. They had a hard time acclimating in the hottest part of summer last year, and I have learned my lesson to plant all new plants early, so hopefully the hedge on the back wall will begin to develop. I have added 2 blue berry bushes too. I lost my raspberries last year (again,..it was too hot for new plants), so I ordered some older plants last month, and they are currently in the "tortoise building" so I can plant them as soon as possible.

Last edited:

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
With all the coffee I drink, I could surely donate grounds to your cause! :p Mine end up mostly in the compost bin, but as our gardens expand in the next few seasons, we'll probably use them to keep bugs away from new plants. Keep up the great work!!

theguy67

10 Year Member!
With all the coffee I drink, I could surely donate grounds to your cause! :p Mine end up mostly in the compost bin, but as our gardens expand in the next few seasons, we'll probably use them to keep bugs away from new plants. Keep up the great work!!

I'll keep you in mind lol. I don't know what I'm going to do once the fountain is done. I kinda enjoy working with cement.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I'll keep you in mind lol. I don't know what I'm going to do once the fountain is done. I kinda enjoy working with cement.
I know what you mean. I enjoyed building our tortoise enclosure in the backyard, and although it was hard work, I was kind of sad when we'd finished it.

theguy67

10 Year Member!
I know what you mean. I enjoyed building our tortoise enclosure in the backyard, and although it was hard work, I was kind of sad when we'd finished it.

I think I'll always be able to find SOMETHING to work on...

- I've thought about adding a raised pond for goldfish and lilies, maybe along the fence somewhere, although this is not a serious thought.
- I am currently working on growing blueberries. Planted 2 bushes this past winter after preparing the ground, would like to plant 4 more so we can enjoy 5 months of berries. And as mentioned before, I have some rasberries to be planted in march or april.
- I'm trying to get my banana patch going. Currently have 6 trees from 4 to1 ft tall. All were brought in for the winter
-The bamboo has taken some time to get going, but they should be putting out new canes in a few months.
-I'd like to replace the Bahia grass with Bermuda (with weeds).
- Now that the trees are taller, I would like to start working under them, including some shrubbery and flowering bushes.
- I've thought about adding a fountain or waterfall to the pond side, to at least keep the water clear.
- Small water feature for the yearling's pen?
- I've thought about adding some stepping stones (probably concrete)

My initial plan for the pen was to develop a tree canopy, which is still the focus, but after seeing some tropical gardens on you tube, I'm aiming for a denser look. Incorporating some stumps, larger boulders, and bromeliads among it all would give it a very nice tropical touch along with the bamboo, willow tree, and bananas.

I would also like to add a lounge/sitting area. The habitat isn't "super big" but I think once its more mature with plant growth I will be able to find a spot. It will probably be a hammock at first. If anyone has any other ideas let me know!

Last edited:

theguy67

10 Year Member!
The blueberries are already blooming, and all the other plants are already putting out leaves. I'm going to resist posting anymore updates until May gets here and everything is growing. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1487547802.728967.jpg

TempestRising

Austin, Texas
What an amazing outdoor enclosure! I absolutely love the detail you put into everything including your plants flowers etc! I'm from Texas as well so its good to know I can get my outdoor garden thriving and even better to have a place to take notes from! *SideNote.... Its June 1! Update please! LoL Gotta see everything blooming and looking fantastic no doubt! Thanks again for sharing!

Turtlesfromcolo

Colorado
Winter Renovations

I got quite a bit done this past winter,...more than what can be seen in the follow pics, but they give a good idea of what is to come this spring.

View attachment 198612
View attachment 198612
The limestone in the background is being used to encircle the fountain, as a retaining wall so there will be a proper border separating that portion of the water feature form the surrounding land. I honestly had no idea what I was going to do to finish off the fountain. I knew what I wanted for a fountain, but didn't know how to define it in the enclosure. The ground will be raised 4 inches on both sides of the stream, and around the fountain.

View attachment 198615
Above, you can see the framework for the 2nd stone of the fountain. It needs one more layer of cement, and then it will be ready to be stained. I tried to give it more character than the previous one. There will be a 3rd, smaller stone to follow. I hope to plant more shrubbery around the fountain to help blend it into the landscape some more. I'm thinking some grasses, knockout rose bushes, and may some day lilies behind the stone, in the water.
View attachment 198614 View attachment 198610
Above you can see the beginning of the yearling pen. It reaches across the entire back wall of the building, 14 ft, offset about 20 inches, giving quite a bit of space for the smaller tortoises. The stones may not look it, but they are level lol. The last 3 feet curve into the wall. If you notice, there is a gate I had to take into account. The bamboo will add a nice screen for the babies, while providing a micro-climate to protect them from the sun, and help retain moisture. Its also right by a sprinkler that can be programmed to spray 4 times per day. This enclosure will also provide me with a place to plant smaller plants that otherwise would be trampled by the adults, such as small bananas. I also think some caladiums would look nice between the bamboo.

I'm very excited to see what this spring has to offer. I have big plans for this year, which includes incorporating more fruiting plants, such as berries.
What A Great enclosure.. I love your creek idea, it's very functional and natural.. Can't wait to see the yearlings enclosure as well.. Please Keep us updated. Awesome thread!! :D

theguy67

10 Year Member!
*SideNote.... Its June 1! Update please! LoL Gotta see everything blooming and looking fantastic no doubt! Thanks again for sharing!

I know. I've gotten busy with other stuff. Life gets in the way, and I have been building an indoor enclosure for the young tortoises,
seen here > http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/tortoise-nursery-room.155237/#post-1484401

In other news, the wall is complete, and the fountain is half done. Only need to make the third, smallest fountain, stain the two, and rig up the plumbing.

Last fall I realized I made a rookie mistake by using colored mulch, instead of natural. I doubt any short term harm was caused, but I am switching to a natural forest mix (no cedar/pine) this year., while removing any old mulch I can.

I'll probably go ahead and post updates since most of everything is done, and continue with progress shots until fall. Pics should be up this weekend!

theguy67

10 Year Member!
Spring Update!

Yes, I know, I know. I'm late, but here is this years update of the enclosure.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1496503422.551337.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1496503446.796679.jpg

The above two give a good view of most of the enclosure when you first walk in.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1496503549.188285.jpg

One taken earlier this morning.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1496503584.669238.jpg

Disturbed someone's beauty sleep...

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1496503634.110070.jpg

My water reeds have kinda gotten out of hand. Haven't trimmed them back yet.

I'll post more throughout the day. To be continued!!!

theguy67

10 Year Member!
Bamboo forest!

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1496538423.399058.jpg

I've always liked bamboo. I don't really know why. The redfoots seem to like it just as much, if not more than me. It really exploded this year, offering a nice screen for them to hide in. There's a lot of shade in the enclosure already, but beyond the burrows, there's no cover that reaches that close to the ground.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1496538620.084901.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1496538640.009626.jpg

If you want bamboo in your garden, I would strongly suggest a clumping variety.